摄提贞于孟陬兮,惟庚寅吾以降。
On th' Day of gengyin in th' First Month of early spring
皇览揆余初度兮,肇锡余以嘉名:
Of th' Year of yin, into being th' world did me bring.
Auspicious names were given to me by my sire,
名余曰正则兮,字余曰灵均。
For I as a newborn baby did him inspire.
纷吾既有此内美兮,又重之以修能。
My personal name Zhengze does mean “Just and Square”, And the other name Lingjun denotes “Wise and Fair”.
扈江离与辟芷兮,纫秋兰以为佩。
With my physical composition which does shine,
汨余若将不及兮,恐年岁之不吾与。
I am endowed with innate qualities fine.
For Selinea and Angelica I care,
朝搴阰之木兰兮,夕揽洲之宿莽。
And wreaths of Cymbidium flowers I oft wear.
日月忽其不淹兮,春与秋其代序。
Aware that time and tide for nobody will wait, To make hay while th' sun shines I do myself cultivate.
惟草木之零落兮,恐美人之迟暮。
I pluck the Magnolia on the slope at dawn;
不抚壮而弃秽兮,何不改乎此度?
In th' eve on the sand-bar I pick the Winter-Thorn.
The sun and th' moon in due course rise and fall so swift; While spring and autumn for each other in turn shift.
乘骐骥以驰骋兮,来吾道夫先路!
'Tis true that wither may the plants, which today thrive: To meet th' Beauty in her youth 'tis wise that I strive.
昔三后之纯粹兮,固众芳之所在。
I am determin'd to purge the vile in my prime: Shouldn't the Institution be reform'd in time?
杂申椒与菌桂兮,岂惟纫夫蕙茝!
Riding on the steed I would rush and charge ahead
彼尧、舜之耿介兮,既遵道而得路。
As path-breaker, though sweat and blood I might shed.
Why had the Three Ancient Kings been so pure and true?
何桀纣之猖披兮,夫惟捷径以窘步。
Around them were gathered Flowers Red and Blue.
惟夫党人之偷乐兮,路幽昧以险隘。
Good use of Sweet Grass and Angelica they made, And heed to Cassia and Ash they also paid.
岂余身之殚殃兮,恐皇舆之败绩!
King Yao and King Shun, who was just and fair, believ'd In th' righteous way, and their noble goals they achiev'd; Whereas Jie and Zhou, who their power had abus'd, Found their kingdoms lost and themselves greatly confus'd.
忽奔走以先后兮,及前王之踵武。
Th' Faction for ignoble ease and pleasure have long'd;
荃不查余之中情兮,反信谗而齌怒。
Th' obscure road they take is indeed with perils throng'd.
My fear is not that I'd meet with personal plight,
余固知謇謇之为患兮,忍而不能舍也。
But that upon the Sovereign they should be a blight!
With utter devotion I’ve bent myself to th’ quest;
指九天以为正兮,夫惟灵修之故也。
That the Crown follow the Wise King’s course I have blest.
曰黄昏以为期兮,羌中道而改路!
The Calamus ignor’d my holy sentiment And, credulous to slander, his spite he did vent.
初既与余成言兮,后悔遁而有他。
That good advice jars on the ear I am aware,
余既不难夫离别兮,伤灵修之数化。
But away from the cause I can not myself tear.
I swear that I’d spar’d no effort for th’ monarchy: Providence could be witness of my royalty.