说把家里交给你们,如今闹到这个分儿,还想法着么?”
They'll say: We entrusted the house to you, and you let this dreadful thing hap-pen.
How can I live on?”
现在有上夜的人在那里。”
"Anyway, it's the night watchmen who are responsible."
这都是我大嫂子害了我了,他撺掇着太太派我看家的。
It's exactly what my sister-in-law planned!
She wanted me to come to grief!
She deliberately talked Aunt Xing into giving me this responsibility.
如今我的脸搁在那里呢?”
Now I'm quite disgraced!”
二人正说着,只听见外头院子里有人大嚷的说道:“我说那三姑六婆是再要不得的,我们甄府里从来是一概不许上门的。
Just then someone in the yard started bellowing, "I've always said those nuns, bawds, go-betweens and the like are no good!
Our Zhen family never let such creatures cross our threshold.
不想这府里倒不讲究这个。
and I didn't expect things to be so lax here!
昨儿老太太的殡才出去,那个什么庵里的尼姑死要到咱们这里来。
Yesterday, the moment the old lady's cortege left, that nun from some small temple was dead set on coming over here.
我吆喝着不准他进来,腰门上的老婆子们倒骂我,死央及着叫那姑子进来。
When I refused to admit her, the old woman aL the side-gate bawled me out and fairly grovelled to invite her in.
那腰门子一会儿开着,一会儿关着,不知做什么。
So some of the time the side gate was closed, some of the time it was open - who could tell what was going on!
我不放心,没敢睡,听到四更,这里就嚷起来。
I lay awake worrying about it till two in the morning, and then I heard shouts coming from the house here.
我来叫门倒不开了。
They wouldn't let me in
我听见声儿紧了,打开了门,见西边院子里有人站着,我便赶上打死了。
and as the shouting was getting worse I broke the gate down and came in.
I saw some men in the west courtyard, chased them and killed one of them.
我今儿才知道这是四姑奶奶的屋子,那个姑子就在里头。
I only found out today that the place I was in was the courtyard of Miss Xi-chun's apartment.
So the nun was there with her at the very time the burglary took place.
今儿天没亮溜出去了,可不是那姑子引进来的贼么?”
She sneaked off this morning before it was light.
Stands to reason it was the nun who led the thieves in!"
平儿等听着,都说:“这是谁这么没规矩?
"Who is this mannerless wretch?” demanded Pinger.
姑娘奶奶都在这里,敢在外头这么混嚷?”
"How dare he shout so wildly outside when there are ladies in here?”
凤姐道:“你听他说甄府里,别就是甄家荐来的那个厌物罢?”
“Didn't you hear him talk of the Zhen family?"Xifeng said. "He must be that pesky creature they recommended."
凤姐接着问惜春道:“那个人混说什么姑子?
‘Wasn't there something about a nun in his babblings?” Xi-feng continued, turning to Xi-chun.
惜春便将妙玉来瞧他,留着下棋守夜的话说了。
Xi-chun told her that Adamantina had visited her, and that she had stayed on to play Go and keep her company during the night.
但是叫这讨人嫌的东西嚷出来,老爷知道了也不好。”
But if this tiresome wretch keeps yelling about it and the master bears, there may be trouble."
惜春愈想愈怕,站起来要走。
The more Xi-chun thought about the possible consequences for Adamantina the more distressed she became.
She rose to leave,
凤姐虽说坐不住,又怕惜春害怕,弄出事来,只得叫他:“先别走,且看着人把偷剩下的东西收起来,再派了人看着,咱们好走。”
Xifeng urged her to stay for, although she could hardly bear up, she was afraid that xichun in her alarm might do something desperate. "Wait till we've seen them put away the things left by the thieves and assigned people to keep an eye on the place," she said. "Then we can go.
平儿道:“咱们不敢收,等衙门里来了,踏看了才好收呢。
Pinger interposed, "How can we put anything away till officers have come to investigate?”
咱们只好看着。
Till then we should leave everything as it is.