却说曹仁见关公落马,即引兵冲出城来,被关平一阵杀回,救关公归寨,拔出臂箭。
At the sight of Guan Yu falling from his charger, Cao Ren led his army out of the city to follow up with an attack, but Guan Ping drove him off and escorted his father back to camp.
原来箭头有药,毒已入骨,右臂青肿,不能运动。
There the arrow was extracted, but the arrow head had been poisoned.
The wound was deep, and the poison had penetrated to the bone.
关平慌与众将商议曰:“父亲若损此臂,安能出敌?
The right arm was discolored and swollen and useless.
Guan Ping consulted with the other leaders and proposed, saying, "As fighting is impossible for the moment, we should withdraw to Jingzhou, where my father's wound can be treated."
于是与众将入帐见关公。
they went to see the wounded warrior.
公问曰:“汝等来有何事?”
"What have you come for?”"asked Guan Yu when they entered.
众对曰:“某等因见君侯右臂损伤,恐临敌致怒,冲突不便。
"Considering that you, Sir, have been wounded in the right arm, we fear the result of the excitement of battle.
Moreover, you can hardly take part in a fight just now,
众议可暂班师回荆州调理。”
and we therefore propose that the army retire till you are recovered."
公怒曰:“吾取樊城,只在目前。
Guan Yu replied angrily, "I am on the point of taking the city,
取了樊城,即当长驱大进,径到许都,剿灭操贼,以安汉室。
and if I succeed, I must press forward to Capital Xuchang, and destroy that brigand Cao Cao, so that the Hans may be restored to their own.
岂可因小疮而误大事?
Think you that I can vitiate the whole campaign because of a slight wound?”
汝等敢慢吾军心耶!”
Would you dishearten the army?”
众将见公不肯退兵,疮又不痊,只得四方访问名医。
Seeing that their leader would not retire and the wound showed no signs of healing, the various generals inquired far and near for a good surgeon to attend their general.
忽一日,有人从江东驾小舟而来,直至寨前。
One day a person arrived in a small ship and, having landed and come up to the gate of the camp,
平视其人:方巾阔服,臂挽青囊。
The visitor wore a square-cut cap and a loose robe.
In his hand he carried a small black bag.
因闻关将军乃天下英雄,今中毒箭,特来医治。“
I have heard of the wound sustained by the famous general and have come to heal it."
平曰:“莫非昔日医东吴周泰者乎?”
"Surely you must be the physician who treated Zhou Tai in the South Land," said Guan Ping.
平大喜,即与众将同引华佗入帐见关公。
Taking with him the other generals, Guan Ping went in to see his father.
时关公本是臂疼,恐慢军心,无可消遣,正与马良弈棋;闻有医者至,即召入。
Guan Yu was engaging in a game of chess with Ma Liang, although his arm was very painful.
But Guan Yu kept up appearances so as not to discourage the troops.
When they told him that a physician had come, he consented to see him.
茶罢,佗请臂视之。
after the tea of ceremony, was shown the injured arm.
公袒下衣袍,伸臂令佗看视。
"This was caused by an arrow," said the doctor.
佗曰:“此乃弩箭所伤,其中有乌头之药,直透入骨。
"There is poison in the wound, and it has penetrated to the bone.
若不早治,此臂无用矣。”
Unless the wound is soon treated, the arm will become useless."
佗曰:“某自有治法,但恐君侯惧耳。”
"I know how to cure the wound, but I think you will be afraid of the remedy."
佗曰:“当于静处立一标柱,上钉大环,请君侯将臂穿于环中,以绳系之,然后以被蒙其首。
Then Hua Tuo said, "This is what I shall do.
In a private room I shall erect a post with a steel ring attached.
I shall ask you, Sir, to insert your arm in the ring, and I shall bind it firmly to the post.
Then I shall cover your head with a quilt so that you cannot see,