武都、阴平吾已取了。
I have the two cities---Wudu and Yinping.
汝二人不早来降,欲驱兵与吾决战耶?”
If you have not come to surrender, then hurry up and fight a battle with me."
忽然背后喊杀连天,王平、姜维引兵从后杀来。
Then behind them there rose a shout as of battle, and Wang Ping and Jiang Wei began to smite them in the rear,
兴、苞二将又引军从前面杀来。
while Guan Xing and Zhang Bao bore down upon them in front.
郭、孙二人弃马爬山而走。
and the two leaders escaped by scrambling up the hillside.
张苞望见,骤马赶来;不期连人带马,跌入涧内,后军急忙救起,头已跌破。
Zhang Bao saw them, and was urging his steed forward to catch them, when unhappily he and his horse went over together into a gully.
When they picked him up, they found that he had been kicked in the head +and was badly hurt.
却说郭、孙二人走脱,回见司马懿曰:“武都、阴平二郡已失。
It has been said that Guo Huai and Sun Li escaped.
They got back to Sima Yi's camp and said, "Wudu and Yinping were both in the enemy's possession,
孔明伏于要路,前后攻杀,因此大败,弃马步行,方得逃回。”
and Zhuge Liang had prepared an ambush, so that we were attacked front and rear.-We lost the day and only escaped on foot."
懿曰:“非汝等之罪,孔明智在吾先。
"It is no fault of yours," said Sima Yi. "The fact is he is sharper than I.
可再引兵守把雍、郿二城,切勿出战。
Now go to defend Yongcheng and Meicheng and remain on the defensive.
Do not go out to give battle.
吾自有破敌之策。”
I have a plan to defeat them."
二人拜辞而去。
These two having left,
懿又唤张郃、戴陵分付曰:“今孔明得了武都、阴平,必然抚百姓以安民心,不在营中矣。
Sima Yi called in Zhang He and Dai Ling and said, "Zhuge Liang has captured Wudu and Yinping.
He must restore order and confidence among the people of these places and so will be absent from his camp.
汝二人各引一万精兵,今夜起身,抄在蜀兵营后,一齐奋勇杀将过来;吾却引军在前布阵,只待蜀兵势乱,吾大驱士马,攻杀进去:两军并力,可夺蜀寨也。
You two will take ten thousand troops each, start tonight and make your way quietly to the rear of the Shu army.
Then you will attack vigorously.
When you have done that, I shall lead out the army in front of them and array ready for battle.
While they are in disorder, I shall make my attack.
Their camp ought to be captured.
若得此地山势,破敌何难?”
If I can win the advantage of these hills, their defeat will be easy."
二人受计引兵而去。
These two left,
戴陵在左,张郃在右,各取小路进发,深入蜀兵之后。
Dai Ling marching on the left and Zhang He on the right.
They took by-roads and got well to the rear of the Shu army.
三更时分,来到大路,两军相遇,合兵一处,却从蜀兵背后杀来。
In the third watch they struck the high road and joined forces.
Then they marched toward the enemy.
行不到三十里,前军不行。
After about ten miles there was a halt in front.
张、戴二人自纵马视之,只见数百辆草车横截去路。
The two leaders galloped up to see what had caused it, and found many straw-carts drawn across the road.
郃曰:“此必有准备。
"The enemy has been prepared," said Zhang He.
才传令退军,只见满山火光齐明,鼓角大震,伏兵四下皆出,把二人围住。
Just as they ordered the troops to turn about, torches broke into flame all over the hills, the drums rolled, trumpets blared, and soldiers sprang out on every side.-
孔明在祁山上大叫曰:“戴陵、张郃可听吾言:司马懿料吾往武都、阴平抚民,不在营中,故令汝二人来劫吾寨,却中吾之计也。
At the same time Zhuge Liang shouted from the hill-top, "Dai Ling and Zhang He, listen to my words!
Your master reckoned that I should be busy restoring order in the two cities and so should not be in my camp.
Wherefore he sent you to take the camp, and you have just fallen into my snare.
郃大怒,指孔明而骂曰:“汝乃山野村夫,侵吾大国境界,如何敢发此言!
Zhang He's wrath blazed forth at this, and he pointed at Zhuge Liang, crying, "You peasant out of the woods, invader of our great country!
How dare you use such words to me?”