却说那撞倒董卓的人,正是李儒。
The person who collided with the irate Dong Zhuo was his most trusty adviser Li Ru.
当下李儒扶起董卓,至书院中坐定,卓曰:“汝为何来此?”
Li Ru had not fallen in spite of the shock and at once scrambled to help Dong Zhuo to regain his feet and led him inside to the library, where they sat down. “What were you coming about?” said Dong Zhuo.
因急走来,正遇吕布奔走,云:‘太师杀我!’
Then came Lu Bu running and crying out that you wanted to kill him,
卓曰:“叵耐逆贼!
“The wretch!
戏吾爱姬,誓必杀之!”
How could I bear to see him toying with my fair one?
I will be the death of his yet.”
儒曰:“恩相差矣。
“Your Graciousness is making a mistake. +It is the ‘plucked tassel' story over again.
昔楚庄王绝缨之会,不究戏爱姬之蒋雄,后为秦兵所困,得其死力相救。
But if you remember the banquet of old time where all guests were to tear the tassels of their hats.
In that banquet, King Zhuang of Chu made no fuss about the liberties taken with his queen, although the hat-tassel in her hand betrayed the culprit Jiang Xiong.
His restraint stood him good stead, for the same Jiang Xiong saved his life when he was hemmed in by the soldiers of Qin.
太师若就此机会,以蝉赐布,布感大恩,必以死报太师。
If you took this chance of making the girl over to him, your kindness would win his undying gratitude.
卓入后堂,唤貂蝉问曰:“汝何与吕布私通耶?”
Dong Zhuo went to his private rooms and called Diao Chan. “What were you doing there with Lu Bu?” said he.
蝉泣曰:“妾在后园看花,吕布突至。
She began to weep, saying, “Thy handmaid was in the garden among the flowers, when he rushed in on me.
妾方惊避,布曰:‘我乃太师之子,何必相避?
I was frightened and ran away.
He asked why I ran away from a son of the family and pursued me right to the pavilion, where you saw us.
He had that halberd in his hand all the time.
’提戟赶妾至凤仪亭。
I was frightened and ran away.
He asked why I ran away from a son of the family and pursued me right to the pavilion, where you saw us.
He had that halberd in his hand all the time.
妾见其心不良,恐为所逼,欲投荷池自尽,却被这厮抱住。
I felt he was a vicious man and would force me to his will, so I tried to throw myself into the lily pond, but he caught me in his arms and held me so that I was helpless.
貂蝉大惊,哭曰:“妾身已事贵人,今忽欲下赐家奴,妾宁死不辱!”
Stunned, she pleaded with tears, “What have thy handmaid done?
My honor of serving only Your Highness could not bear being given to a mere underling!
Never!
I would rather die.”
遂掣壁间宝剑欲自刎。
And with this she snatched down a dagger hanging on the wall to kill herself.
貂蝉倒于卓怀,掩面大哭曰:“此必李儒之计也!
She lay back on his breast hiding her face and sobbing bitterly. “This is the doing of that Li Ru," said she.
儒与布交厚,故设此计;却不顾惜太师体面与贱妾性命。
“He is much too thick with Lu Bu.
He suggested that, I know.
Little he cares for the Imperial Rector's reputation or my life.
卓曰:“吾明日和你归郿坞去,同受快乐,慎勿忧疑。”
“We will go to Meiwo tomorrow, you and I, and we will be happy together and have no cares."
次日,李儒入见曰:“今日良辰,可将貂蝉送与吕布。”
Next day Li Ru came again to persuade Dong Zhuo to send the damsel to Lu Bu. “This is a propitious day," said Li Ru.
卓曰:“布与我有父子之分,不便赐与。
“He and I standing in the relation of father and son.
I cannot very well do that," said Dong Zhuo.
汝传我意,以好言慰之可也。”
You may tell him so and soothe him as well as you can."
儒曰:“太师不可为妇人所惑。”
“You are not being beguiled by the woman, are you?” said Li Ru.
貂蝉之事,再勿多言;言则必斩!”
Do not talk about this any further.
It would be better not to.-"
李儒出,仰天叹曰:“吾等皆死于妇人之手矣!”
Li Ru left the chamber.
When he got outside, he cast his eyes up to heaven, saying, “We are dead people, slain by the hand of this girl!"