你有力量重新把金字塔建起,
Thy pyramids built up with newer might
我看它可并不希奇,并不新鲜;
To me are nothing novel, nothing strange;
那是旧景象穿上新衣裳而已。
They are but dressings of a former sight.
我们活不长,所以我们要赞扬
Our dates are brief, and therefore we admire
你鱼目混珠地拿给我们的旧货;
What thou dost foist upon us that is old,
宁可使它们合乎我们的愿望,
And rather make them born to our desire
而不想:我们早听见它们被说过。
Than think that we before have heard them told.
我是瞧不起你和你的记载的,
Thy registers and thee I both defy,
也不惊奇于你的现在和过去,
Not wond'ring at the present, nor the past;
因为那由你的长跑编造出来的
For thy records and what we see doth lie,
记载和我们见到的景象是骗局:
Made more or less by thy continual haste.
我如此起誓,以后也始终如此,
This I do vow, and this shall ever be:
不怕你跟你的镰刀,我永远忠实。
I will be true despite thy scythe and thee.