又让于子州支父,子州支父曰:“以我为天子,犹之可也。
I have no time to spare to rule over the kingdom." Ruling over a kingdom means having the highest commanding position and supreme authority.
虽然,我适有幽忧之病,方且治之,未暇治天下也。
Even so, his health should not be impaired on this account.
”夫天下至重也,而不以害其生,又况他物乎!
Wouldn't his principle be applied to less significant matters?
唯无以天下为者,可以托天下也。
On the other hand, only he who does not want to rule over a kingdom can be entrusted with this important task.
舜让天下于子州支伯。
When King Shun offered his throne to Zizhou Zhibo, the latter said, I'm suffering from melancholia, and I'm going to give it a serious treat- ment.
子州支伯曰:“予适有幽忧之病,方且治之,未暇治天下也。
That leaves me no time to rule over the kingdom." It is obvious that the throne should not substitute life even though the former may be of untmost value.
”故天下大器也,而不以易生,此有道者之所以异乎俗者也。
This is where people endowed with Tao contrast strikingly with laymen in their attitude towards power.
舜以天下让善卷,善卷曰:“余立于宇宙之中,冬日衣皮毛,夏日衣葛;春耕种,形足以劳动;秋收敛,身足以休食;日出而作,日入而息,逍遥于天地之间而心意自得。
King Shun then turned to Shan Juan with his offer.
吾何以天下为哉!
Shan Juan said, "I live in this vast universe.
悲夫,子之不知余也!
In winter, I cover myself with skins and furs; in summer, I wear thin clothes made of flax.
”遂不受。
In spring, I plough the fields as I'm strong enough to bear the toiling; in autumn, I harvest the crops and store away the grain.
于是去而入深山,莫知其处。
I can fully support myself this way.
舜以天下让其友石户之农,石户之农曰:“捲捲乎后之为人,葆力之士也!
I go to work at sunrise and come home at sunset.
”以舜之德为未至也,于是夫负妻戴,携子以入于海,终身不反也。
Now that I live a carefree life between the heaven and the earth, I am content with the immense pleasure it gives me.I have no need to bother about the throne!
大王亶父居邠,狄人攻之;事之以皮帛而不受,事之以犬马而不受,事之以珠玉而不受,狄人之所求者土地也。
What a pity that you do not understand me!
大王亶父曰:“与人之兄居而却杀其弟,与人之父居而杀其子,吾不忍也。
He, too, refused to accept the throne.
子皆勉居矣!
Before long, Shan Juan went away and lived in the mountains, with no one knowing his whereabouts.
为吾臣与为狄人臣奚以异!
King Shun then offered the throne to a friend of his, a farmer living in Shihu.
且吾闻之,不以所用养害所养。
The farmer said, "Your Majesty, you have certainly done your best.
”因杖而去之。
What a diligent man you are!
民相连而从之,遂成国于岐山之下。
Thinking that King Shun had not attained the utmost virtue,he left with his wife and children, carrying their belongings, for a remote island and never returned.
夫大王亶父,可望能尊生矣。
Tiawang Danfu lived in Bin, which the Di tribes often harassed.
能尊生者,虽贵富不以养伤身,虽贫贱不以利累形。
The Di men rejected the hunting dogs, horses, jewelry and jadeware offered to them.
今世之人居高官尊爵者,皆重失之,见利轻亡其身,岂不惑者!
All they desired was the land of Fen.