我同布什谈了,中国的问题,压倒一切的是需要稳定。
I have told President Bush that in China the overriding need is for stability.
凡是妨碍稳定的就要对付,不能让步,不能迁就。
We must counter any forces that threaten stability, not yielding to them or even making any concessions.
不要怕外国人议论,管他们说什么,无非是骂我们不开明。
We should not be concerned about what foreigners say; let them say what they please.
They'll only abuse us for being unenlightened.
多少年来我们挨骂挨得多了,骂倒了吗?
We have been berated for so many years!
But have we been toppled by their criticisms?
Anyway, the affairs of Chinese should be handled by the Chinese themselves.
总之,中国人的事中国人自己办。
We have been berated for so many years!
But have we been toppled by their criticisms?
Anyway, the affairs of Chinese should be handled by the Chinese themselves.
不讲,反而好像输了理。
If we don't, we shall appear to be in the wrong.
估计形势,要看到中国的工人、农民、知识分子和大多数学生是拥护改革的。
When we size up the situation, we should bear in mind that the workers, peasants and intellectuals and the great majority of students support the reform.
台湾集中攻我们四个坚持,恰恰证明四个坚持不能丢。
Taiwan's concentrated attack on the Four Cardinal Principles shows precisely that we cannot discard them.
没有四个坚持,中国就乱了。
Without them, China would be in turmoil.
当然,控制局势要注意方法。
Of course, we should be careful about the means we use to control the situation.
特别要抓紧立法,包括集会、结社、游行、示威、新闻、出版等方面的法律和法规。
In particular, we should lose no time in drawing up laws and statutes, including ones to regulate assembly, association, demonstration, and the press and publishing.
违法的就要取缔。
Anything that violates the law must be suppressed.
中国不能允许随便示威游行,如果三百六十五天,天天游行,什么事也不要干了,外国资金也不会进来了。
China cannot allow people to demonstrate whenever they please, because if there were a demonstration 365 days a year, nothing could be accomplished, and no foreign investment would come into the country.
我们在这方面控制得严一点,不会影响外商来华投资,恰恰相反,外商会更放心。
Tightening our control in this area will not deter foreign businessmen from investing in China; on the contrary, it will reassure them.
我们要让国内外明白,加强控制是为了稳定,是为了更好地改革开放,进行现代化建设。
We should make it clear at home and abroad that the purpose of tightening control is to maintain stability and to facilitate the reform, the opening to the outside and the drive for modernization.
十年来我们的最大失误是在教育方面,对青年的政治思想教育抓得不够,教育发展不够。
Over the last ten years our greatest mistake has been our failure in education.
We haven't paid enough attention to the political and ideological education of young people and to the expansion of education.
知识分子的待遇太低,这个问题无论如何要解决。
Intellectuals have not been given enough pay and other benefits.
We have to solve these problems.