众人听了,都推着宝玉出去问他。
The others all urged him to go out to question his page,
众人在廊下听着。
while they stood listening in the covered gallery.
宝玉也觉放心,便走到门口,问道:“你那里得了?
Feeling reassured, Baoyu went to the door and asked: “Where did you find it?”
宝玉道:“你快说是怎么得的,我好叫人取去。”
“But how did you find it?
Tell me, and I'll send someone to fetch it.”
焙茗道:“我在外头,知道林爷爷去测字,我就跟了去。
“When I learned outside that Mr. Lin was going to consult a fortuneteller, I followed him.
我听见说在当铺里找,我没等他说完,便跑到几个当铺里去。
When I heard the word ‘pawnshop', I didn't wait to hear the rest, but went racing round the pawnshops.
我比给他们瞧,有一家便说‘有’。
I described the jade to them, and eventually one of them said, “We've got it.”
那铺子里要票子。
but he insisted on having the pawn-ticket.
他说:‘三百钱的也有,五百钱的也有。
he said he had one for three hundred taels and another for five hundred.
前儿有一个人拿这么一块玉,当了三百钱去:今儿又有人也拿一块玉当了五百钱去。’”
The other day someone brought in a jade like that and pawned it for three hundred.
Today another man came with a piece and pawned it for five hundred.”‘
宝玉不等说完,便道:“你快拿三百五百钱去取了来,我们挑着看是不是。”
“Quick,” interrupted Bao-yu. “Take three hundred taels and five hundred.
Get them both, and we can see which is the right one.”
我小时候儿听见我哥哥常说,有些人卖那些小玉儿,没钱用便去当,想来是家家当铺里有的。”
“When I was small my brother often told me that hawkers of small pieces of jade pawn them when they need cash.
Every single pawnshop must have some.”
众人正在听得诧异,被袭人一说,想了一想,倒大家笑起来,说:“快叫二爷进来罢,不用理那糊涂东西了。
At first everyone had been carried away by Tealeaf's story.
But now, after reflecting on what Aroma had just said, they all began to laugh. “Come inside, Master Bao.
Don't listen to that fool.
他说的那些玉,想来不是正经东西。”
Whatever it is he's talking about, it obviously isn't the real thing.”
原来岫烟走到栊翠庵,见了妙玉,不及闲话,便求妙玉扶乩。
Now Xiuyan on reaching Green Lattice Nunnery, as soon as she saw Miaoyu had asked her ― without any preliminaries to consult an oracle for them by writing on sand.
妙玉冷笑几声,说道:“我与姑娘来往,为的是姑娘不是势利场中的人。
Miaoyu laughed disdainfully. “I've treated you as my friend,” she said, “because you're not one of the vulgar herd.
今日怎么听了那里的谣言,过来缠我?
Why trouble me like this today on the base of some rumour?”
因讹成实元妃薨逝 以假混真宝玉疯癫
A Rumour Comes True and the Imperial Consort Yuanchun Dies A Fraud Is Perpetrated After Baoyu Loses His Mind
说着,将要不理。
With this, she clearly intended to dismiss the subject,
岫烟懊悔此来,知他脾气是这么着的,“一时我已说出,不好白回去。”
and Xiu-yan regretted ever having come.She knew what a difficult disposition Adamantina had.
But now that she had broached the subject, it seemed such a pity to return empty-handed.
又不好与他质证他会扶乩的话,只得陪着笑将袭人等性命关系的话说了一遍。
She made no attempt to insist on her friend's psychic powers, but instead tried to win Adamantina around by speaking of the urgent light in which Aroma and the others viewed the loss.
妙玉叹道:“何必为人作嫁?
Adamantina sighed. “Are we to be at everyone's beck and call?”
但是我进京以来,素无人知,今日你来破例,恐将来缠绕不休。”
Since I have been here, I have kept this a secret.
Now, if I make an exception for you, I shall never be left in peace.”
岫烟道:“我也一时不忍,知你必是慈悲的。
“I felt I had to come, their need seemed so great,” replied Xiu-yan. “I knew that you would feel sorry for them.