话说探春、湘云才要走时,忽听外面一个人嚷道:“你这不成人的小蹄子,你是个什么东西,来这园子里头混搅!”
It was told in our last chapter how Dai-yu's visitors, who were on the point of leaving, heard a voice outside the window crying: “What's a little trouble-maker like you doing here in the garden anyway?
You're nothing but a nuisance!”
一手指着窗外,两眼反插上去。
Showing the whites of her eyes ^-1she exclaimed, “I shall have to leave here!”
原来黛玉住在大观园中,虽靠着贾母疼爱,然在别人身上,凡事终是寸步留心。
The truth is that after all this time, despite Grand-mother Jia's constant love and protection, Dai-yu still suffered from an acute sense of insecurity, of being an ‘outsider in the Garden'.
听见窗外老婆子这样骂着,在别人呢,一句是贴不上的,竟象专骂着自己的。
On this occasion, incredible though it may seem, she had instinctively taken herself to be the target of the old woman's abuse (for the voice was that of an old serving-woman),
自思一个千金小姐,只因没了爹娘,不知何人指使这老婆子来这般辱骂,那里委屈得来?
and had immediately set about reconstructing the ‘plot' in her mind: someone, taking advantage of the fact that she was an orphan, had sent this woman to insult her in public.She was being persecuted!
The sense of injury, the unfairness of it, were more than she could bear.
因此,肝肠崩裂,哭的过去了。
With a heart-rending cry she fainted away.
紫鹃只是哭叫:“姑娘怎么样了?
“What's come over you, miss?” wailed Zijuan.
半晌,黛玉回过这口气,还说不出话来,那只手仍向窗外指着。
and after a while Daiyu regained consciousness.
Still she could not speak, just kept pointing out of the window.
探春会意,开门出去,看见婆子手中拿着拐棍,赶着一个不干不净的毛丫头道:“我是为照管这园中的花果树木,来到这里,你作什么来了?
Tanchun caught her meaning and opening the door went out.
She saw an old woman with a stick chasing after a grubby little girl. “I'm here to look after the flowers and fruit trees,” the old crone was shouting. “Why should you come too?”
这丫头扭着头,把一个指头探在嘴里,瞅着老婆子笑。
The little girl merely cocked her head, stuck a finger in her mouth and stared at the old woman with a cheeky grin.
这里是你骂人的地方儿吗?”
Is this the place for you to bawl abuse?”
老婆子见是探春,连忙陪着笑脸儿说道:“刚才是我的外孙女儿,看见我来了,他就跟了来。
When the old woman saw who it was, she pulled herself up smartly and answered with her most ingratiating smile:“It's my daughter's girl here, Miss Tan-chun.
探春道:“不用多说了,快给我都出去。
“That's enough.
Hurry up and go, the two of you.
老婆子答应了几个“是”,一扭身去了,那丫头也就跑了。
“Yes, miss.” The old woman made off, the small girl running after her.
探春回来,看见湘云拉着黛玉的手只管哭,紫鹃一手抱着黛玉,一手给黛玉揉胸口,黛玉的眼睛方渐渐的转过来了。
Going back inside Tanchun found Xiangyun in tears, holding Daiyu's hand.
Zijuan supported the invalid with one arm and massaged her chest till, slowly, she opened her eyes.
黛玉只摇摇头儿。
Daiyu just shook her head.
这种东西说话再没有一点道理的,他们懂得什么避讳。”
Such creatures talk nothing but nonsense.
They don't understand that some things aren't allowed.”
黛玉听了,叹了口气,拉着探春的手道:“姐儿……”叫了一声,又不言语了。
Dai-yu sighed and held Tan-chun's hand. “Oh Tan.” she cried feebly, but could say no more.
探春又道:“你别心烦。
“Don't fret yourself.
我来看你,是姊妹们应该的。
“We're cousins and cousins should stick by one another.
That's why I came to see you.
只要你安心肯吃药,心上把喜欢事儿想想,能够一天一天的硬朗起来,大家依旧结社做诗,岂不好呢。”
If you'll just rest, take your medicine and look on the bright side of things, you'll gradually get well enough for us all to start the poetry club again.Wouldn't that be nice?”
那里就想到这里来了。
There's no cause for you to be so pessimistic.
你好生歇歇儿罢,我们到老太太那边,回来再看你。
Now just have a good rest while we go to see the old lady. 2We'll look in again by and by.
你要什么东西,只管叫紫鹃告诉我。”
If there's anything you need, tell Nightingale and I'll send it over for you.”