云辞曰:“三军无尺寸之功,某等俱各有罪;若反受赏,乃丞相赏罚不明也。
But these were returned as Zhao Yun said, "All armies have accomplished nothing, and that is also our fault.
The rules for reward and punishment must be strictly kept.
且请寄库,候今冬赐与诸军未迟。”
I pray that these things be kept in store till the winter, when they can be distributed among the army."
孔明叹曰:“先帝在日,常称子龙之德,今果如此!”
"When the First Ruler lived, he never tired of extolling Zhao Yun's virtues.
The First Ruler was perfectly right," said Zhuge Liang.
乃倍加钦敬。
And his respect for the veteran was doubled.
忽报马谡、王平、魏延、高翔至。
Then came the turn of +the four unfortunate leaders Ma Su, Wang Ping, Wei Yan, and Gao Xiang to render account.
孔明先唤王平入帐,责之曰:“吾令汝同马谡守街亭,汝何不谏之,致使失事?”
Wang Ping was called to the Commander-in-Chief's tent and rebuked. "I ordered you and Ma Su to guard Jieting.
Why did you not remonstrate with him and prevent this great loss?”
平曰:“某再三相劝,要在当道筑土城,安营守把。
"I did remonstrate many times.
I wished to build a rampart down in the road and construct a solid camp,
参军大怒不从,某因此自引五千军离山十里下寨。
but the Counselor would not agree and showed ill temper.
So I led five thousand troops and camped some three miles off.
魏兵骤至,把山四面围合,某引兵冲杀十余次,皆不能入。
When the army of Wei came in crowds and surrounded my colleague, I led my army to attack them a score of times.
But I could not penetrate,
次日土崩瓦解,降者无数。
and the catastrophe came quickly.
Many of our troops surrendered,
半途又被魏兵困在山谷之中,某奋死杀出。
Then we were intercepted and imprisoned in a valley and only got out by fighting most desperately.
比及归寨,早被魏兵占了。
We got back to my camp to find the enemy in possession,
及投列柳城时,路逢高翔,遂分兵三路去劫魏寨,指望克复街亭。
and so we set out for Liliu.
On the road I met Gao Xiang, and we three tried to raid the enemy's camp, hoping to recover Jieting.
因见街亭并无伏路军,以此心疑。
But as there was no one soldier there, I grew suspicious.
登高望之,只见魏延、高翔被魏兵围住,某即杀入重围,救出二将,就同参军并在一处。
From a hill I saw Wei Yan and Gao Xiang had been hemmed in by the soldiers of Wei, so I went to rescue them.-
某恐失却阳平关,因此急来回守。
Thence we hastened to Yangping Pass to try to prevent that from falling.
丞相不信,可问各部将校。”
And you, O Prime Minister, can get confirmation of my words from any of the officers."
谡自缚跪于帐前。
He came, bound himself, and threw himself on the earth at the tent door.
孔明变色曰:“汝自幼饱读兵书,熟谙战法。
Zhuge Liang got angry, saying, "You have filled yourself with the study of the books on war ever since you were a boy.
You know them thoroughly.
汝以全家之命,领此重任。
and you pledged yourself and all your family to do your best in the enterprise.
今败军折将,失地陷城,皆汝之过也!
The army is defeated, generals have been slain and cities and territory lost, all through you.
若不明正军律,何以服众?
If I do not make you an example and vindicate the law, how shall I maintain a proper state of discipline?”
汝今犯法,休得怨吾。
You have offended, and you must pay the penalty.
汝死之后,汝之家小,吾按月给与禄粮,汝不必挂心。”
After your death the little ones of your family shall be my care, and I will see that they get a monthly allowance.
Do not let their fate cause you anxiety."