却说蜀汉景耀五年,冬十月,大将军姜维,差人连夜修了栈道,整顿军粮兵器,又于汉中水路调拨船只。
In the autumn of the fifth year of Wonderful Sight, in Shu-Han calendar (AD 262), Jiang Wei was occupied with preparations for the renewal of an attack: Mending the hill roads, gathering stores, and mobilizing his boats on the waterways of Hanzhong.
俱已完备,上表奏后主曰:“臣累出战,虽未成大功,已挫动魏人心胆。
These things done, he memorized the Throne, asking permission to go again to the attack: "Although I have not been wholly victorious nor accomplished great things, yet I have put fear into the hearts of the Wei armies.
今养兵日久,不战则懒,懒则致病。
Our soldiers have been long under training, and they must now be used, or the army will go to pieces for lack of exercise.
况今军思效死,将思用命。
The soldiers are ready to die, the officers prepared for all risks,
后主览表,犹豫未决。
The Latter Ruler did not consent at once.
As he was hesitating,
谯周出班奏曰:“臣夜观天文,见西蜀分野,将星暗而不明。
Qiao Zhou stood forth and said, "I have observed the heavens.
I have seen the leadership stars in Shu dull and obscured.
后主曰:“且看此行若何。
The Latter Ruler replied, "Let us see the results of this campaign.
果然有失,却当阻之。”
If it fails, then the war shall cease."
谯周再三苦谏不从,乃归家叹息不已,遂推病不出。
Qiao Zhou tried to dissuade the Latter Ruler two or three more times, but he failed.
In despair he withdrew to his home, and retired on the pretext of illness.
却说姜维临兴兵,乃问廖化曰:“吾今出师,誓欲恢复中原,当先取何处?”
As the final preparations were being made, Jiang Wei said to Liao Hua, "We are pledged to get through to the Middle Land this time.
What do you advise to start with?”
化曰:“连年征伐,军民不宁;兼魏有邓艾,足智多谋,非等闲之辈:将军强欲行难为之事,此化所以未敢专也。”
"I dare not presume to advise you, General.
For years we have been fighting and giving the people no rest.
In Deng Ai we find a most formidable and resourceful opponent and an extraordinarily capable man, so that you must exert yourself to the very utmost."
维勃然大怒曰:“昔丞相六出祁山,亦为国也。
Jiang Wei was annoyed.
Said he, "The late Prime Minister made six attempts, all for the state.
遂留廖化守汉中,自同诸将提兵三十万,径取洮阳而来。
Jiang Wei left Liao Hua in charge of the base in Hanzhong and marched with three hundred thousand troops to Taoyang.
早有川口人报入祁山寨中。
His movements were reported in the Qishan camps, and Deng Ai's spies confirmed the news.
时邓艾正与司马望谈兵,闻知此信,遂令人哨探。
It happened that Sima Wang was with Deng Ai discussing military matters, and the former, when he heard it,
艾曰:“向者姜维累出吾有粮之地,今洮阳无粮,维必料吾只守祁山,不守洮阳,故径取洮阳;如得此城,屯粮积草,结连羌人,以图久计耳。”
"Formerly Jiang Wei has always opened with a march to those parts of the country where we have stored supplies.
Taoyang has no stores, so he thinks we shall not have taken care for its defense as we shall concentrate our efforts on Qishan.
But, if he can take that place, he can collect stores there, and get into touch with the Qiang tribespeople and finally work out some grand plan."
艾曰:“可尽撤此处之兵,分为两路去救洮阳。
"I advise the abandonment of this place and a march in two bodies toward Taoyang.
离洮阳二十五里,有侯河小城,乃洮阳咽喉之地。
I know a small town called Houxia, eight miles from Taoyang, which is the throat of the place.
公引一军伏于洮阳,偃旗息鼓,大开四门,如此如此而行;我却引一军伏侯河,必获大胜也。”
You go to Taoyang, hide your force, and open the gates.
Then act as I shall tell you presently.
I will lie in wait at Houxia.
We shall score a victory."
筹画已定,各各依计而行。
Deng Ai gave Shi Zuan the command of the camps in Qishan
只留偏将师纂守祁山寨。
when the main body left.
却说姜维令夏侯霸为前部,先引一军径取洮阳。
Meanwhile Xiahou Ba led the van of the Shu army toward Taoyang.
众皆拜服。
They all bowed acquiescence and approval.
霸提兵前进,将近洮阳,望见城上并无一杆旌旗,四门大开。
As he drew near, he noticed the place seemed to have no defenses; not a flag staff reared its head.
The gates stood wide open.