却说鲁肃、孔明辞了玄德、刘琦,登舟望柴桑郡来。
In the boat on the way to Chaisang,
二人在舟中共议。
the two travelers beguiled the time by discussing affairs.
鲁肃谓孔明曰:“先生见孙将军,切不可实言曹操兵多将广。”
Lu Su impressed upon his companion, saying, "When you see my master, do not reveal the truth about the magnitude of Cao Cao's army."
及船到岸,肃请孔明于馆驿中暂歇,先自往见孙权。
When the boat arrived, Zhuge Liang was lodged in the guests' quarters, and Lu Su went alone to see his master.
权正聚文武于堂上议事,闻鲁肃回,急召入问曰:“子敬往江夏,体探虚实若何?”
Lu Su found Sun Quan actually at a council, assembled to consider the situation.
Lu Su was summoned thereto and questioned at once upon what he had discovered.
肃曰:“已知其略,尚容徐禀。”
"I know the general outline, but I want a little time to prepare my report," replied Lu Su.
权将曹操檄文示肃曰:“操昨遣使赍文至此,孤先发遣来使,现今会众商议未定。”
Then Sun Quan produced Cao Cao's letter and gave it to Lu Su. "That came yesterday.
I have sent the bearer of it back, and this gathering is to consider the reply," +said he.
肃接檄文观看。
Lu Su read the letter:
其略曰:孤近承帝命,奉词伐罪。
"When I, the Prime Minister, received the imperial command to punish a fault,
旄麾南指,刘琮束手;荆襄之民,望风归顺。
my banners went south and Liu Zong became my prisoner, while the people of Jingzhou flocked to my side at the first rumor of my coming.
今统雄兵百万、上将千员,欲与将军会猎于江夏,共伐刘备,同分土地,永结盟好。
Under my hand are one million strong and a thousand able leaders.
My desire is, General, that we go on a great hunting expedition into Jiangxia and together attack Liu Bei.
We will share his land between us, and we will swear perpetual amity.
鲁肃看毕曰:“主公尊意若何?”
"What have you decided upon, my lord?” asked Lu Su as he finished the letter.
张昭曰:“曹操拥百万之众,借天子之名以征四方,拒之不顺。
Then Zhang Zhao said, "It would be imprudent to withstand Cao Cao's hundred legions backed by the imperial authority.
且主公大势可以拒操者,长江也。
Moreover, your most important defense against him is the Great River;
今操既得荆州,长江之险,已与我共之矣,势不可敌。
and since Cao Cao has gained possession of Jingzhou, the river is his ally against us.
以愚之计,不如纳降,为万安之策。
We cannot withstand him, and the only way to tranquillity, in my opinion, is submission."
众谋士皆曰:“子布之言,正合天意。”
"The words of the speaker accord with the manifest decree of providence," echoed all the assembly.
张昭又曰:“主公不必多疑。
Zhang Zhao +again took up the argument, saying, "Do not hesitate, my lord.
如降操,则东吴民安,江南六郡可保矣。”
Submission to Cao Cao means tranquillity to the people of the South Land and safety for the inhabitants of the six territories."
须臾,权起更衣,鲁肃随于权后。
Presently he arose and paced slowly out at the door, and Lu Su followed him.
权知肃意,乃执肃手而言曰:“卿欲如何?”
Outside he took Lu Su by the hand, saying, "What do you desire?”
肃曰:“恰才众人所言,深误将军。
"What they have all been saying is very derogatory to you.
肃曰:“如肃等降操,当以肃还乡党,累官故不失州郡也;将军降操,欲安所归乎?
"If people like us servants submitted, we would just return to our village or continue holding our offices, and everything would go on as before.
If you submit, whither will you go?”
位不过封侯,车不过一乘,骑不过一匹,从不过数人,岂得南面称孤哉!
You will be created a lord of some humble fief, perhaps.
You will have one carriage, no more; one saddle horse, that is allYour retinue will be some ten.
Will you be able to sit facing the south and call yourself by the kingly title of ‘The Solitary'?”