玄德拆书观之,略曰:“亮夜算太乙数,今年岁次癸巳,罡星在西方;又观乾象,太白临于雒城之分:主将帅身上多凶少吉。
Opening the letter, Liu Bei read: "I have been making some astrological calculations.
This is the last year of the cycle, the bowl of the Dipper is in the western quarter, and the planet Venus approaches Luocheng.The configuration is inimical to leaders,
切宜谨慎。”
and the utmost caution is necessary."
玄德曰:“吾将回荆州,去论此事。”
Liu Bei said, "I will return myself to Jingzhou and discuss the matter."
庞统暗思:“孔明怕我取了西川,成了功,故意将此书相阻耳。”
But Pang Tong opposed this, for he thought in his heart that Zhuge Liang's warning was due to a jealous desire to prevent him from winning the glory of conducting a victorious campaign in West River Land..
统亦占天文,见太白临于雒城,先斩蜀将泠苞,已应凶兆矣。
Therefore Pang Tong said, "I also have made calculations, and I read the signs to mean that the time is favorable for you to get possession of this land, and no evil is foreshown
主公不可疑心,可急进兵。”
Therefore be not of doubtful heart, my lord, but advance boldly."
庞统问法正曰:“前至雒城,有多少路?”
Pang Tong asked of Fa Zheng what roads there were to follow,
法正画地作图。
and the latter drew a map,
法正言:“山北有条大路,正取雒城东门;山南有条小路,却取雒城西门:两条路皆可进兵。”
Fa Zheng said, "North of the mountains is a high road leading to the east gate.
South of the mountains is another path leading to the west gate.
Both these roads are suitable for the advance of an army."
庞统谓玄德曰:“统令魏延为先锋,取南小路而进;主公令黄忠作先锋,从山北大路而进:并到雒城取齐。”
So Pang Tong said to Liu Bei, "With Wei Yan to lead the way, I will go along the southern road, while you, my lord, will advance along the high road, with Huang Zhong in the van.
We will attack Luocheng at the same time."
军师可从大路去取东门,吾取西门。”
wherefore, O Instructor, I think you should take the high road and let me take the other."
庞统曰:“大路必有军邀拦,主公引兵当之。
"There will be opposition on the high road, and you are the best to deal with it.
统取小路。”
Let me take the by-road."
玄德曰:“吾所疑者,孔明之书也。
"The real reason of my hesitation is the letter from Zhuge Liang.
庞统大笑曰:“主公被孔明所惑矣:彼不欲令统独成大功,故作此言以疑主公之心。
Pang Tong smiled, saying, "Zhuge Liang has indeed filled your mind with doubts.
The real thing is that he is unwilling to let me have the merit of accomplishing a great undertaking alone.
That is why he has written this.
心疑则致梦,何凶之有?
And your doubts and hesitations have produced the dream.
But I see nothing ill-omened,
当日传下号令,军士五更造饭,平明上马。
So the order went forth that the morning meal was to be taken early and the army was to march at dawn.
黄忠、魏延领军先行。
Huang Zhong and Wei Yan were to take the lead, one along each road.
玄德再与庞统约会,忽坐下马眼生前失,把庞统掀将下来。
These two set out first, and in due time Liu Bei and Pang Tong mounted and followed.
Suddenly Pang Tong's horse shied and stumbled, throwing him off.
玄德跳下马,自来笼住那马。
Liu Bei jumped down and seized the horse by the bridle,
庞统曰:“此马乘久,不曾如此。”
"I have ridden him a long time, and he has never done this before," was the reply.
遂与庞统更换所骑之马。
They exchanged horses.
遂各上马取路而进。
Soon their ways diverged.
却说雒城中吴懿、刘璝听知折了泠苞,遂与众商议。
When the news of Ling Bao's capture and death reached Luocheng, Wu Yi and Liu Gui took counsel together.