来向那血腥的暴君——时间作斗争?
Make war upon this bloody tyrant Time?
为什么你不用一种比我这枯诗
And fortify yourself in your decay
更好的方法来加强将老的自身?
With means more blessed than my barren rhyme?
现在你站在欢乐时辰的峰顶上;
Now stand you on the top of happy hours,
许多没栽过花儿的处女园地
And many maiden gardens, yet unset,
诚意地想要把你的活花培养,
With virtuous wish would bear you living flowers,
教花儿比你的画像更加像你:
Much liker than your painted counterfeit.
这样,生命线必将使生命复燃,
So should the lines of life that life repair,
而当代的画笔或我幼稚的笔枝,
Which this time's pencil, or my pupil pen,
不论画外表的美或内心的善,
Neither in inward worth nor outward fair
都没法使你本身在人眼中不死。
Can make you live yourself in eyes of men.
自我放弃是永远的自我保留;
To give away yourself keeps yourself still,
你必须靠你自己的妙技求长寿。
And you must live, drawn by your own sweet skill.