我饶恕我这匹走得太慢的坐骑:
Of my dull bearer, when from thee I speed:
背向着你呀,为什么要走得飞快?
From where thou art why should I haste me thence?
除非是回来,才需要马不停蹄。
Till I return, of posting is no need.
那时啊,飞行也会觉得是爬行,
O, what excuse will my poor beast then find,
可怜的牲口,还能够得到饶恕?
When swift extremity can seem but slow?
他风驰电掣,我也要踢他加劲;
Then should I spur, though mounted on the wind,
因为我坐着,感不到飞快的速度:
In winged speed no motion shall I know.
那时候,没马能跟我的渴望并进;
Then can no horse with my desire keep pace;
因此我无瑕的爱所造成的渴望
Therefore desire, of perfect'st love being made,
(不是死肉)将燃烧,奔驰,嘶鸣;
Shall neigh, no dull flesh in his fiery race;
但是马爱我,我爱他,就对他原谅;
But love, for love, thus shall excuse my jade:
因为背向你,他曾经有意磨蹭,
Since from thee going he went wilful slow,
面向你,我就自己跑,放他去步行。
Towards thee I'll run and give him leave to go.