我知道有高手在利用你的声望,
Knowing a better spirit doth use your name,
知道他为了要使我不能再开口,
And in the praise thereof spends all his might,
就使出浑身解数来把你颂扬。
To make me tongue-tied speaking of your fame.
但是,你的德行海一样广大,
But since your worth, wide as the ocean is,
不论木筏或锦帆,你一律承担,
The humble as the proudest sail doth bear,
我是只莽撞的小舟,远远不如他,
My saucy bark, inferior far to his,
也在你广阔的海上顽强地出现。
On your broad main doth wilfully appear.
你浅浅一帮就能够使我浮泛,
Your shallowest help will hold me up afloat
而他正航行在你那无底的洪波上;
Whilst he upon your soundless deep doth ride;
或者我倾覆了,是无足轻重的舢板,
Or, being wracked, I am a worthless boat,
而他是雄伟的巨舰,富丽堂皇:
He of tall building, and of goodly pride.
那么,假如他得意了,而我被一丢,
Then if he thrive, and I be cast away,
最坏的就是:——我的爱正使我衰朽。
The worst was this: my love was my decay.