就是你活着,我已在地里腐烂;
Or you survive when I in earth am rotten.
虽然人们会把我忘记干净,
From hence your memory death cannot take,
死神可拿不走别人对你的怀念。
Although in me each part will be forgotten.
你的名字从此将得到永生,
Your name from hence immortal life shall have,
而我呢,一旦死了,就永别人间;
Though I, once gone, to all the world must die.
大地只能够给我个普通的坟茔,
The earth can yield me but a common grave,
你躺的坟墓却是人类的肉眼。
When you entombed in men's eyes shall lie.
你的纪念碑将是我温雅的诗词,
Your monument shall be my gentle verse,
未来的眼睛将熟读这些诗句,
Which eyes not yet created shall o'erread,
未来的舌头将传诵你的身世,
And tongues to be your being shall rehearse
哪怕现在的活人都已经死去;
When all the breathers of this world are dead.
我的千钧笔能使你万寿无疆,
You still shall live—such virtue hath my pen—
活在口头——活人透气的地方。
Where breath most breathes, even in the mouths of men.