见到最美的人物被描摹尽致,
I see descriptions of the fairest wights,
美使得古代的诗歌也美丽多彩,
And beauty making beautiful old rhyme
歌颂着已往的贵妇,可爱的骑士;
In praise of ladies dead and lovely knights;
见到古人夸奖说最美的美人有
Then, in the blazon of sweet beauty's best,
怎样的手足,嘴唇,眼睛和眉毛,
Of hand, of foot, of lip, of eye, of brow,
于是我发现古代的文笔早就
I see their antique pen would have expressed
表达出来了你今天具有的美貌。
Even such a beauty as you master now.
那么,古人的赞辞都只是预言——
So all their praises are but prophecies
预言了我们这时代:你的仪态;
Of this our time, all you prefiguring,
但古人只能用理想的眼睛测看,
And, for they looked but with divining eyes,
还不能充分歌唱出你的价值来:
They had not skill enough your worth to sing:
至于我们呢,看见了今天的景象,
For we, which now behold these present days,
有眼睛惊羡,却没有舌头来颂扬。
Have eyes to wonder, but lack tongues to praise.