既然无辜被当做有罪来申斥;
When not to be receives reproach of being,
凭别人察看而不是凭本人感觉
And the just pleasure lost, which is so deemed
而判为合法的快乐已经丢失。
Not by our feeling, but by others' seeing.
为什么别人的虚伪淫猥的媚眼
For why should others' false adulterate eyes
要向我快乐的血液问候,招徕?
Give salutation to my sportive blood?
为什么懦夫们要窥探我的弱点,
Or on my frailties why are frailer spies,
还把我认为是好的硬说成坏?
Which in their wills count bad what I think good?
不。——我始终是我;他们对准我
No, I am that I am, and they that level
詈骂诽谤,正说明他们污秽:
At my abuses reckon up their own;
我是正直的,尽管他们是歪货;
I may be straight though they themselves be bevel.
他们的脏念头表不出我的行为;
By their rank thoughts my deeds must not be shown,
除非他们敢声言全人类是罪孽,——
Unless this general evil they maintain:
人都是恶人,用作恶统治着世界。
All men are bad and in their badness reign.