想起了从前我曾经感到的悲伤,
And for that sorrow which I then did feel
我只有痛悔我近来犯下的错误,
Needs must I under my transgression bow,
要不然我这人真成了铁石心肠。
Unless my nerves were brass or hammered steel.
如果我的狠心曾使你震颤,
For if you were by my unkindness shaken,
那你已度过一段时间在阴曹;
As I by yours, y'have passed a hell of time,
我可是懒汉,没匀出空闲来掂一掂
And I, a tyrant, have no leisure taken
你那次肆虐给了我怎样的苦恼。
To weigh how once I suffered in your crime.
我们不幸的夜晚将使我深心里
O, that our night of woe might have rememb’red
牢记着:真悲哀怎样惨厉地袭来,
My deepest sense how hard true sorrow hits,
我随即又向你(如你曾向我)呈递
And soon to you, as you to me then, tend'red
谦卑的香膏去医治受伤的胸怀!
The humble salve which wounded bosoms fits!
你的过失现在却成了赔偿费;
But that your trespass now becomes a fee;
我的赎你的,你的该把我赎回。
Mine ransoms yours, and yours must ransom me.