何清道:“不瞒哥哥说,兄弟前日为赌博输了,没一文盘缠。
“To tell the truth, a few days ago I lost again at gambling.
I was clean, without a copper.
有个一般赌博的,引兄弟去北门外十五里,地名安乐村,有个王家客店内,凑些碎赌。
A gambling pal of mine took me to a village called Anle, fifteen li outside the North Gate, and I put up at the Wang Family Inn, where I was able to raise a bit of change for the gaming tables.
为是官司行下文书来,着落本村,但凡开客店的,须要置立文簿,一面上用勘合印信。
The authorities have issued an order that all inns must keep a register, with proper seals,
官司查照时,每月一次去里正处报名。
and that it must be shown to the local ward chief on demand, once a month.
为是小二哥不识字,央我替他抄了半个月。
The attendant at the Wang Family Inn is illiterate, and he begged me to keep the register for him for a couple of weeks.
当日是六月初三日,有七个贩枣子的客人,推着七辆江州车儿来歇。
“On the third day of the sixth month, seven date merchants arrived pushing seven carts.
我却认得一个为头的各人,是郓城县东溪村晁保正。
I recognized one of them as Ward Chief Chao of East Bank in Yuncheng County,
只见一个三髭须白净面皮的,抢将过来答应道:‘我等姓李,从濠州来,贩枣子去东京卖。’
Before he could speak, a fair?faced man with a mustache and goatee quickly answered for him: 'We're all of us named Li.
We're from Haozhou Prefecture, and are on our way with dates for the Eastern Capital.”
第二日,他自去了。
The next day, they left.
店主带我去村里相赌,来到一处三叉路口,只见一个汉子挑两个桶来,我不认得他。
My host offered to take me gambling in a place in the village.
On the way, at a fork in the road, we met a fellow carrying buckets on a shoulder?pole.
I didn't know him,
店主人自与他厮叫道:‘白大郎,那里去?’
but the innkeeper hailed him: 'Where are you going, Master Bai? '
那人应道:‘有担醋,将去村里财主家卖。’
'To a rich man's house in the village.
I'm bringing him this load of vinegar,' the man replied.
店主人和我说道:“这人叫做白日鼠白胜,他是个赌客。’
The innkeeper said to me: 'This is Bai Sheng, known as the Daylight Rat.
He's also fond of gambling.”
后来听得沸沸扬扬地说道:‘黄泥冈上一夥贩枣子的客人,把蒙汗药麻翻了人,劫了生辰纲去。’
Later, when I heard gossip that date merchants had drugged some travellers on Yellow Earth Ridge and stole the birthday gifts,
如今只捕了白胜,一问便知端的。
Arrest Bai and question him, and you'll get the whole story.
这个经摺儿是我抄的副本。”
Here is my copy of the register.”
何涛听了大喜,随即引了兄弟何清迳到州衙里,见了太守。
Ho Tao was delighted.
He led his brother in to see the prefect.
府尹问道:“那公事有些下落么?”
“Any developments on that case?” asked the official.
宋公明私放晁天王 美髯公智稳插翅虎
Song Jiang Secretly Helps Ward Chief Chao Flee Beautiful Beard Cleverly Fools the Winged Tiger
当时何观察与兄弟何清道:“这锭银子是官司信赏得,非是我把来赚你,后头再有重赏。
Inspector Ho continued to urge his younger brother to tell what he knew.-
府尹叫进后堂来说,仔细问了来历。
The prefect called them into his rear chambers and questioned them carefully.
当下便差八个做公的,一同何涛、何清,连夜来到安乐村,叫了店主人做眼,迳奔到白胜家里。
The prefect directed eight policemen to go with the brothers that same night to Anle Village.
They compelled the innkeeper to take them to Bai Sheng, and reached the wine seller's house
却是三更时分。
at the third watch.
叫店主人赚开门来打火。
The innkeeper, at their insistence, called Bai Sheng to open the door and strike a light.