那老儿直拖鲁达到僻净处,说道:“恩人,你好大胆!
The old fellow didn't stop pulling till they reached an isolated spot.
Then he said: “You're too rash, benefactor.
见今明明地张挂榜文,出一千贯赏钱捉你,你缘何却去看榜?
That notice offers a thousand strings of cash for your capture.
How could you stand there looking at it?”
若不是老汉遇见时,却不被做公的拿了。
If I hadn't spotted you, you might have been nabbed by the police.
榜上见写着你年甲、貌相、贯址。”
Your age, description and place of origin are all there.”
鲁达道:“洒家不瞒你说,因为你事,就那日回到状元桥下,正迎着郑屠那厮,被洒家三拳打死了。
“To tell you the truth, when I went to the foot of the Zhuangyuan Bridge that day to see Zheng the butcher about your affair, I killed the churl with three blows of the fist,
你缘何不回东京去,也来到这里?”
I thought you were returning to the Eastern Capital.
What are you doing here?”
金老道:“恩人在上,自从得恩人救了,老汉寻得一辆车子,本欲要回东京去,又怕这厮赶来,亦无恩人在彼搭救。
“After you saved me, benefactor, I found a cart.
Originally I intended to go back to the Eastern Capital, but I was afraid that rogue would catch up and you wouldn't be around to rescue us.
撞见一个京师古邻,来这里做买卖,就带老汉父子两口儿到这里。
On the road I met an old neighbor from the capital who was coming here on business.
He took me and my daughter along.
亏杀了他,就与老汉女儿做媒,结交此间一个大财主赵员外,养做外宅,衣食丰足,皆出于恩人。
He was good enough to find her a match.
She's now the mistress of a wealthy man, Squire Zhao.
The squire has provided her with a house.
Thanks to you, benefactor, we now have plenty to eat and wear.
我女儿常常对他孤老说提辖大恩。
My daughter has often spoken to the squire of your kindness.
鲁提辖便和金老行不得半里,到门首,只见老儿揭起帘子,叫道:“我儿,大恩人在此。”
Lu Da and Old Jin walked less man half a li when they came to the door of a house.
The old man pushed aside the bamboo curtain and called: “Daughter, our benefactor is here.”
那女孩儿浓妆艳裹,从里面出来,请鲁达居中坐了,插烛也似拜了六拜,说道:“若非恩人垂救,怎能勾有今日!”
The girl emerged, neatly made up and attractively dressed.
She begged Lu Da to be seated in the center of the room.
Then, as if offering votive candles, she kowtowed before him six times. “If you hadn't rescued us, benefactor,” she said, “we'd never possess what we have today. ”
拜罢,便请鲁提辖道:“恩人上楼去请坐。”
She invited him upstairs to the parlor.
鲁达道:“不须生受,洒家便要去。”
“Don't bother,” said Lu Da. “I must be going.”
金老便道:“恩人既到这里,如何肯放你便去。”
“Now that you're here, benefactor, of course we can't let you leave,” said the old man.
老儿接了杆棒包裹,请到楼上坐定。
He took Lu Da's staff and bundles and ushered him up the stairs.
女子留住鲁达在楼上坐地,金老下来,叫了家中新讨的小厮,分付那个丫环一面烧着火,老儿和这小厮上街来,买了些鲜鱼、嫩鸡、酿鹅、肥鲊,时新果子之类归来。
The daughter sat with Lu Da while the old man went downstairs and directed the boy they had recently hired to tell the servant girl to get the kitchen fire started.
Then Old Jin and the boy went out and bought fresh fish, a tender chicken, a goose, pickled fish and fresh fruit.
一面开酒,收拾菜蔬,都早摆了,搬上楼来。
He took these home, opened a jug of wine, prepared a few dishes, and carried them upstairs.
春台上放下三个盏子,三双筋,铺下菜蔬果子下饭等物。
There wine cups were placed on a table, and three sets of chopsticks.
When the food and fruit were served,
丫环将银酒壶汤上酒来,父女二人轮番把盏。
the servant girl came in with a silver wine kettle and heated the wine.
Father and daughter each filled Lu Da's cup in turn.
金老倒地便拜。
Then Old Jin dropped to his knees and kowtowed.
金老说道:“恩人听禀,前日老汉初到这里,写个红纸牌儿,旦夕一炷香,子父两个兀自拜哩。
“When we first came here, not long ago,” said the old man, “I wrote your name on a strip of red paper and pasted it on a wooden tablet.
We burn a stick of incense before it every morning and evening, and my daughter and I kowtow before it.
三人慢慢地饮酒,将及天晚,只听得楼下打将起来。
The three drank till almost nightfall.
Suddenly they heard a commotion outside.
鲁提辖开窗看时,只见楼下三二十人,各执白木棍棒,口时都叫:“拿将下来!”
Lu Da opened the window and looked.
Some twenty to thirty men, all armed with staves, were gathered in front of the house. “Bring him down,” they were shouting.