刚刚发生了什么?
What just happened?
结果我早上进门前拥有的所有自信,随着时间的流逝,在各种各样的问题中渐渐消失殆尽了。
So all the confidence that I went in with that morning was withering away as the morning went on and the questions kept coming.
临近中午,在我回家前,老师让我们围成一个圈,然后我发现自己在圈外。
And at the end of the morning, before I went home, the teacher had us in a circle, and I actually found myself outside of the circle.
我没办法看任何一个人。
I couldn't look at anybody.
我没法理解刚刚发生了什么。
I could not understand what just happened.
在接下来的几年,我痛恨去公共场合。
And over the next few years, I hated to go out in public.
我能感受到每个眼神,每个笑声,每个指指点点的行为,不是手指,是每次的指指点点,我痛恨它们。
I felt every stare, every giggle, every pointed finger, not the finger, but every pointed finger, and I hated it.
我会藏在爸妈的身后,这样好像就没有人能看到我。
I would hide behind my parents' legs like nobody could see me.
在孩童时期,你没办法理解另一个孩子的好奇心,或者是一个成年人的不理睬。
And as a child, you can't understand another child's curiosity, nor an adult's ignorance.
我很快就发现这个世界并不适合我这种体型的人,不管是字面上的还是比喻上的。
It became very apparent to me that the real world was not built for someone of my size, both literally or figuratively.
你可能在想我那天最大的挑战是面试,或者是进入那个楼。
You're probably thinking my greatest challenge that day was the interview, or getting in the building.
实际上,我那天最大的挑战是从装车升降台上安稳下来不摔跤。
In reality, my biggest challenge that day was getting through the loading dock without getting run over.
我在一些情况下非常的脆弱:机场,走廊,停车场,升降台。
I am very vulnerable in certain situations: airports, hallways, parking lots, loading docks.
所以我必须非常小心。
And so I have to be very careful.
我必须有意识而且要很灵活,有时我动作还要非常快。
I have to anticipate and be flexible and move as quickly as I can sometimes.
我尤其不跑过安检因为我得经历个人的全身搜查。
And I especially don't run through the TSA because I get to experience the personal patdown.
我就不评论了。
I won't comment on that.
然后我到了登机口,用我爸妈的话说,我有扯废话的天赋,我跟登机口人员说话,告诉他们,“我的小车大概这么重,有一个电池在里面,我可以自己开到飞机舱门口。”
And then I make my way to the gate, and with my gift of gab that my parents said I was born with, I talk to the gate agent, and then I say, "By the way, my scooter weighs this much, I have a dry cell battery, and I can drive it down to the door of the plane."
而且,提前一天,我得打给我的目的地城市,找到一个我可以租移动小车的地方,以防我的小车在半路坏掉。
Also, the day before, I had called the city where I'm traveling to to find out where I could rent a scooter in case mine gets broken on the way.
所以我的情况有点不同。
So in my shoes, it's a little bit different.
然后他说,“我觉得会。”
And he goes, "I think so."
但现在他可能不会公开讲这件事,但我会。
Now, while he's probably not talking about it publicly, I am.
当你坐国际航班的时候,会有更多的挑战。
When you travel internationally, it can be even more challenging in certain ways.
几年前,我在桑几巴尔岛(非洲坦桑尼亚东北部)
A few years ago, I was in Zanzibar, and I come wheeling in, and think about that.