三个魔头,同上宝殿。
who went back up into the throne hall with them.
这一番倒不是捆住行者,分明是与他送行。
This time they were not tying Monkey up but sending him on his way.
此时有二更时候,众怪一齐相见毕,把唐僧推下殿来。
It was now the second watch of the night, and after all the demons had exchanged greetings the Tang Priest was pushed out of the throne hall.
那长老于灯光前,忽见三个徒弟都捆在地下,老师父伏于行者身边,哭道:“徒弟啊!
When he suddenly caught sight in the lamplight of his three disciples all lying tied up on the ground the venerable master leaned down beside Brother Monkey and said through his tears, “Disciple,
常时逢难,你却在外运用神通,到那里取救降魔;今番你亦遭擒,我贫僧怎么得命!”
when we meet with trouble you normally go off and use your magic powers to subdue the monsters causing it.
Now that you too have been captured can I survive, poor monk that I am?”
八戒、沙僧听见师父这般苦楚,便也一齐放声痛哭。
As soon as Pig and Friar Sand heard their master's distress they too began to howl together.
行者微微笑道:“师父放心,兄弟莫哭;凭他怎的,决然无伤 。
“Don't worry, Master,” said Monkey with a hint of a smile, “and don't cry, brothers.
No matter what they do they won't be able to hurt us.
等那老魔安静了,我们走路。”
When the demon chiefs have settled and are asleep we can be on our way.”
八戒道:“哥啊,又来捣鬼了!
“You're just making trouble again, brother,” replied Pig.
麻绳捆住,松些儿还着水喷,想你这瘦人儿不觉,我这胖的遭瘟哩!
“We're trussed up with hempen ropes.
If we do manage to work them a bit loose they spurt water on them to shrink them again.
You might be too skinny to notice, but fat old me's having a terrible time.
入肉已有二寸,如何脱身?”
The rope's cut two inches deep into them.
I'd never get away.”
行者笑道:“莫说是麻绳捆的,就是碗粗的棕缆,只也当秋风过耳,何足罕哉!”
“Never mind hempen ropes,” said Monkey with a laugh, “even if they were coconut cables as thick as a rice-bowl they'd be no more than an autumn breeze to me.
What's there to make a fuss about?”
师徒们正说处,只闻得那老魔道:“三贤弟有力量,有智谋,果成妙计,拿将唐僧来了!”
As master and disciples were talking the senior demon could be heard saying, “Third brother, you really are strong and wise.
Your plan to capture the Tang Priest was brilliant and it worked.”
叫:“小的们,着五个打水,七个刷锅,十个烧火,二十个抬出铁笼来,把那四个和尚蒸熟,我兄弟们受用,各散一块儿与小的们吃,也教他个个长生。”
“Little ones,” he called, “Five of you carry water, seven scrub the pans, ten get the fire burning and twenty fetch the iron steamer.
When we've steamed the four monks tender for my brothers and me to enjoy we'll give you juniors a piece so that you can all live for ever.”
八戒听见,战兢兢的道:“哥哥,你听。
“Brother,” said Pig, trembling, when he this, “listen.
行者道:“不要怕,等我看他是维儿妖精,是把势妖精。”
“Don't be afraid,” said Monkey. “I'm going to find out whether he's an evil spirit still wet behind the ears or an old hand.”
沙和尚哭道:“哥呀!
“Brother,” said Friar Sand,
且不要说宽话,如今已与阎王隔壁哩,且讲甚么雏儿把势!”
sobbing, “don't talk so big.
We're next door to the king of Hell.
How can you talk about whether he's wet behind the ears or an old hand at a time like this?”
说不了,又听得二怪说:“猪八戒不好蒸。”
The words were not all out of his mouth before the second demon chief was heard to say, “Pig won't steam well.”
三怪道:“不好蒸,剥了皮蒸。”
“If he won't steam well,” the third chief said, “skin him before steaming him.”
八戒慌了,厉声喊道:“不要剥皮!
This panicked Pig, who screamed at the top of his voice, “Don't skin me.
老怪道:“不好蒸的,安在底下一格。”
“If he won't steam well,” the senior demon chief said, “put him on the bottom tray of the steamer.”
行者笑道:“八戒莫怕,是‘雏儿’,不是‘把势’”。
“Don't worry, Pig,” said Monkey with a laugh, “he's wet behind the ears.
He's no old hand.”
行者道:“大凡蒸东西,都从上边起。
“Generally speaking you should start from the top when steaming,” Monkey replied.