你去当吧,我不去!" "好,我去,我就愿意进当铺,进当铺我一点也不怕,理直气壮。" 新做起来的我的棉袍,一次还没有穿,就跟着我进当铺去了!
You go, but not me!" "OK, I go.
在当铺门口稍微徘徊了一下,想起出门时郎华要的价目非两元不当。
I wouldn't mind.
包袱送到柜台上,我是仰着脸,申着腰,用脚尖站起来送上去的,真不晓得当铺为什么摆起这么高的柜台!
I'm not afraid at all.
那带帽头的人翻着衣裳看,还不等他问,我就说了: "两块钱。" 他一定觉得我太不合理,不然怎么连看我一眼也没看,就把东西卷起来,他把包袱仿佛要丢在我的头上,他十分不耐烦的样子。
I don't see anything wrong about it." Thus, my newly-made cotton-padded gown, which had not been worn even once, accompanied me to the pawnshop.
"两块钱不行,那么,多少钱呢?" "多少钱不要。" 他摇摇像长西瓜型的脑袋,小帽头顶尖的红帽球,也跟着摇了摇。
At the door of the pawnshop I hesitated for a while, recalling the asking price suggested by Lang Hua when I left home -- "Nothing less than two yuan." I stood on tiptoe, face upward and back straightened, to hand cloth-wrapped bundle onto the counter.
我伸手去接包袱,我一点也不怕,我理直气壮,我明明知道他故意作难,就想把包袱接过来就走。
How strange the pawnbroker should have put up a counter so forbiddingly high!
猜的对对的,他并不把包袱真给我。
A man in a skullcap turned the gown over and over to examine it.
"五毛钱!
Before he could open his mouth, I said, "Two yuan." He must have thought me too unreasonable, for he rolled up the gown without even taking a look at me.
这件衣服袖子太瘦,卖不出钱来......" "不当。"我说。
Impatience was written all over his face as if he were about to throw the bundle onto my head.
"那么一块钱,......再可不能多了,就是这个数目。" 他把腰微微向后弯一点,柜台太高,看不出他突出的肚囊......一只大手指,就比在和他太阳穴一般高低的地方。
"If two yuan won't do, then how much?" "We won't take it for anything," said me, shanking his longish watermelon-shaped head, the decorative red bead on top of his skullcap swaying.
带着一元票子和一张当票,我怏怏的走,走起路来感到很爽快,默认自己是很有钱的人。
I was aware that he was out to make things difficult for me.
菜市,米店我都去过,比上抱了很多东西,感到非常愿意抱这些东西,手冻得很痛,觉得这是应该,对于手一点也不感到可惜,本来手就应该给我服务,好像冻掉了也不可惜。
Therefore, bold and confident, I reached out my hand for the bundle.
走在一家包子铺门前,又买了十个包子,看一看自己带着这些东西,很骄傲,心血时时激动,至于手冻得怎么痛,一点也不可惜。
But, just as I had been doubly sure, he simply wouldn't let go of it.
路旁遇见一个老叫化子,又停下来给他一个大桶板,我想我有饭吃,他也是应该吃啊!
"Fifty cents!
然而没有多给,只给一个大铜板,那些我自己还要用的!
The sleeves are too tight.
又摸一摸当票也没有丢,这才重新走,手痛得什么心思也没有了,快到家吧!
The gown won't fetch much..." "I won't pawn it," said I.
快到家吧。
"Well, how about one yuan?...
但是,背上流了汗,腿觉得很软,眼睛有些刺痛,走到大门口,才想起来,从搬家还没有出过一次街,走路腿也无力,太阳光也怕起来。
Can't give you any more.
又摸一摸当票才走进院区。
That's final." He leaned back a little bit, his bulging **paunch** concealed behind a high counter... meanwhile, to signal "one yuan", he **gestured with a finger raised** as high as his temples.
郎华人躺在床上,和我出来的时候一样,他还不习惯于进当铺。
Armed with a one-dollar note and a pawn ticket, I, unhappy as I was, walked with a light step and felt like one of the rich.
他是在想什么。
I visited the food market and the grain shop.
拿包子给他看,他跳起来了: "我都饿啦,等你也不回来。" 十个包子吃去一大半,他才细问:"当多少钱?
I did not tire of carrying an armful of purchases.
当铺没欺负你?" 把当票给他,他瞧着那样少的数目: "才一元,太少。" 虽然说当得的钱少,可是又愿意吃包子,那么结果很满足。
My hands ached with cold, but this was as it should be.
他在吃包子的嘴,看起来比包子还大,一个跟着一个,包子消失尽了。
I felt no pity for them.