伯昏瞀人曰:“奚方而反?
Liezi replied, I feel terrified.
”曰:“吾惊焉。
Bohun Maoren asked again, What made you feel terrified?
”曰:“恶乎惊?
Liezi said, I've been to ten parlours for soup and five of them sent soup free of charge.
”曰:“吾尝食于十浆,而五浆先馈。
Bohun Maoren said, Why should that be terrifying?
”伯昏瞀人曰:“若是,则汝何为惊已?
Liezi said, I'm sincere but not perfect yet, with an outward radi- ance only.
”曰:“夫内诚不解,形谍成光,以外镇人心,使人轻乎贵老,而其所患。
To impress people with worldly achievements and to incur more respect to myself than to the elders will undoubtedly lead to calam- ity.
夫浆人特为食羹之货,无多余之赢,其为利也薄,其为权也轻,而犹若是,而况于万乘之主乎!
The soup vendors only intend to sell the soup.
身劳于国而知尽于事,彼将任我以事而效我以功,吾是以惊。
The profit they make is very marginal.
”伯昏瞀人曰:“善哉观乎!
Their intention of taking the soup to me was not at all remarkable.
女处己,人将保女矣!
They even treated me as a man of importance, let alone the princes of large states.
”
无几何而往,则户外之屦满矣。
Since princes devote their wisdom to the affairs of their states, they will charge me with crucial responsibilities and re- view my achievements.
伯昏瞀人北面而立,敦杖蹙之乎颐,立有间,不言而出。
That's why I'm terrified.
宾者以告列子,列子提屦,跣而走,暨乎门,曰:“先生既来,曾不发药乎?
Bohun Maoren said, Your observation and analysis are absolutely correct.
”曰:“已矣,吾固告汝曰人将保汝,果保汝矣。
If you continue to behave like this, people will surely come over too you." Soon after, when he went to see Liezi, Bohun Maoren noticed many shoes outside the door.
非汝能使人保汝,而汝不能使人无保汝也,而焉用之感豫出异也!
Bohun Maoren stood for a while facing north, his chin on his walking stick, and then he turned to leave, without saying a word.
必且有感摇而本才,又无谓也。
When the receptionists reported Bohun Maoren's presence to Liezi, he rushed out to the door bare-footed with his shoes in his hand and said, "Since you've taken the trouble to come, won't you leave a word of advice before you depart?" Bohun Maoren replied, "No. I've told you before that people would come over to you.
与汝游者又莫汝告也,彼所小言,尽人毒也;莫觉莫悟,何相孰也!
What I said has come true.
巧者劳而知者忧,无能者无所求,饱食而敖游,汎若不系之舟,虚而敖游者也。
I do not mean that you made people come over to you, but that you were unable to make them not come to you.
”
郑人缓也呻吟裘氏之地,祗三年而缓为儒,河润九里,泽及三族,使其弟墨。
You didn't have to deliberately do things to impress people or try to be different from the outset.
You must have been moved internally.
儒墨相与辩,其父助翟,十年而缓自杀。
Otherwise, your inborn nature wouldn't have been changed, but you had no alternative.
其父梦之曰:“使而子为墨者予也。
People you associate with do not warn you or remind you of this.
阖胡尝视其良,既为秋柏之实矣?
Their complementary remarks will do you harm.
”夫造物者之报人也,不报其人而报其人之天。
Since nobody is conscious of this, how can people examine each other?
彼故使彼。
Those with adroit hands tire themselves physically; those with wisdom tire themselves mentally; the good-for-nothing pursues nothing.