上帝在天堂,严于应对的恶魔
No God, no demon of severe response,
在地狱,都不屑回答这句问话。
Deigns to reply from heaven or from hell.
我随即转向自己的心灵求索。
Then to my human heart I turn at once.
心灵!你和我在发愁,感到孤单;
Heart, thou and I are here sad and alone;
为什么我发笑?啊,致命的苦痛!
Say wherefore did I laugh? Oh, mortal pain!
黑暗啊!黑暗!我无时无刻不悲叹,
Oh, darkness, darkness! Ever must I moan,
问天堂,问地狱,问心灵,全都没用。
To question heaven and hell and heart in vain!
为什么我发笑?我知道生存的租期,
Why did I laugh? I know this being's lease,
我让幻想伸展到极乐的境界;
My fancy to its utmost blisses spreads;
但是我也许在今夜停止呼吸,
Yet could I on this very midnight cease,
见到尘世的彩旗一片片碎裂;
And the world's gaudy ensigns see in shreds;
诗歌,名声,美人,浓烈芬芳,
Verse, fame, and beauty are intense indeed,
死更浓——死是生的最高报偿。
But Death's intenser—Death is Life's high meed.