却说玄德访孔明两次不遇,欲再往访之。
Nothing discouraged by two unsuccessful visits to the retreat of the sage +whose advice he sought to secure, Liu Bei made preparations for a third visit.
关公曰:“兄长两次亲往拜谒,其礼太过矣。
+His brothers disapproved, and Guan Yu said, "Brother, you have sought him twice.
Surely this is showing even too much deference.
想诸葛亮有虚名而无实学,故避而不敢见。
I do not believe in this fame of his for learning.
He is avoiding you and dare not submit to the test.
玄德曰:“不然。
"You are wrong, my brother.
昔齐桓公欲见东郭野人,五反而方得一面。
+In the Spring and Autumn Period Prince Huan of Qi paid five visits to the Eastern Suburb before he got to see Guan Zhong.
玄德叱曰:“汝岂不闻周文王谒姜子牙之事乎?
"Have you forgotten the great King Wen's visit to Lu Wang, the old man of the River Wei?”
今番汝休去,我自与云长去。”
If you will not go, your brother and I will go without you," said Liu Bei.
玄德曰:“汝若同往,不可失礼。”
"If you go, then you must be polite."
于是三人乘马引从者往隆中。
and the three set out.
离草庐半里之外,玄德便下马步行,正遇诸葛均。
When they were a quarter of mile from the little cottage, Liu Bei dismounted, deciding to show his respect by approaching the house on foot.
Very soon he met Zhuge Jun,
玄德忙施礼,问曰:“令兄在庄否?”
whom he saluted with great deference, inquiring whether his brother was at home.
玄德曰:“今番侥幸,得见先生矣!”
"Fortune favors me this time," said Liu Bei. "I am going to see the Master."
便引我等到庄也不妨,何故竟自去了!”
"It would not have hurt him to have conducted us to the house.
Why did he go off like that?”
玄德见孔明身长八尺,面如冠玉,头戴纶巾,身披鹤氅,飘飘然有神仙之概。
Then Liu Bei saw coming toward him a young man of medium height with a refined face.
He wore a head-wrap and a long crane-white gown.
He moved with much dignity as though he was rather more than mortal.
玄德下拜曰:“汉室末胄、涿郡愚夫,久闻先生大名,如雷贯耳。
Liu Bei bowed, saying, "I am one of the offshoots of the Han family, a simple person from Zhuo.
I have long known the Master's fame, which has indeed thundered in my ear.
孔明曰:“南阳野人,疏懒性成,屡蒙将军枉临,不胜愧赧。”
Zhuge Liang replied, "This hermit is but a dilatory person by temperament.
I know I have to thank you for more than one vain visit, and I am ashamed to think of them."
二人叙礼毕,分宾主而坐。
These courteous remarks and the proper bows exchanged, the two men sat in their relative positions as host and guest,
童子献茶。
and the serving lad brought tea.
茶罢,孔明曰:“昨观书意,足见将军忧民忧国之心。
Then Zhuge Liang said, "From your letter I know that you grieve for both people and government.
玄德曰:“司马德操之言,徐元直之语,岂虚谈哉?
Liu Bei replied, "Sima Hui and Xu Shu have both spoken of you.
Can it be that their words were vain?”
孔明曰:“德操、元直,世之高士。
"The two men you speak of are very profound scholars.
二公谬举矣。
Those two misled you when they spoke of me.
将军奈何舍美玉而求顽石乎?”
Why do you reject the beautiful jewel for a worthless pebble?”
玄德曰:“大丈夫抱经世奇才,岂可空老于林泉之下?
"But your abilities are world embracing and marvelous.
How can you be content to allow time to pass while you idle away life in these secluded haunts?”