使我这臣属的忠诚与你紧系,
Thy merit hath my duty strongly knit,
我向你派遣这位手书的使者,
To thee I send this written ambassage,
来证实我忠诚,不是来炫耀才力。
To witness duty, not to show my wit.
忠诚这么大,可我的才力不中用——
Duty so great, which wit so poor as mine
没词语来表达,使忠诚显得贫乏;
May make seem bare, in wanting words to show it,
但是,我希望在你深思的灵魂中,
But that I hope some good conceit of thine
有坦率可亲的好念头会来收藏它:
In thy soul's thought, all naked, will bestow it;
要等到哪一颗引导我行程的星宿
Till whatsoever star that guides my moving
和颜悦色地给我指出了好运气,
Points on me graciously with fair aspect,
并给我褴褛的爱心穿上了锦裘,
And puts apparel on my tottered loving
以表示我配承受你关注的美意:
To show me worthy of thy sweet respect.
到那时,我才敢夸说我爱你多深,
Then may I dare to boast how I do love thee;
才愿显示我能给你考验的灵魂。
Till then, not show my head where thou mayst prove me.