所以我从来不装扮你的秀颊。
And therefore to your fair no painting set;
我发觉,或者自以为发觉,你远胜
I found, or thought I found, you did exceed
那诗人奉献给你的一纸贫乏:
The barren tender of a poet's debt;
因此我就把对你的好评休止,
And therefore have I slept in your report,
有你自己在,就让你自己来证明
That you yourself, being extant, well might show
寻常的羽管笔说不好你的价值,
How far a modern quill doth come too short,
听它说得愈高妙而其实愈不行。
Speaking of worth, what worth in you doth grow.
你认为我沉默寡言是我的过失,
This silence for my sin you did impute,
其实我哑着正是我最大的荣誉;
Which shall be most my glory, being dumb;
因为我没响,就没破坏美,可是
For I impair not beauty, being mute,
别人要给你生命,给了你坟墓。
When others would give life and bring a tomb.
比起你两位诗人曲意的赞美来,
There lives more life in one of your fair eyes
你一只明眸里有着更多的生命在。
Than both your poets can in praise devise.