就用苦辣味儿去刺激舌头;
With eager compounds we our palate urge,
好比我们要预防未发的病症,
As to prevent our maladies unseen,
就吃下泻药,跟生病一样别扭;
We sicken to shun sickness when we purge;
同样,吃厌了你的甘美(其实
Even so, being full of your ne'er-cloying sweetness,
永远吃不厌),我就把苦酱当食粮;
To bitter sauces did I frame my feeding;
厌倦了健康,就去得病,说是
And, sick of welfare, found a kind of meetness
这样才舒服,其实不需要这样。
To be diseased ere that there was true needing.
这样,为了预防未发的病痛,
Thus policy in love, t' anticipate
爱的策略就成了确定的过失:
The ills that were not, grew to faults assured,
把十分健康的身心投入医药中,
And brought to medicine a healthful state,
使它餍足善,反要让恶来医治。
Which, rank of goodness, would by ill be cured.
但是,我因此学到了真正的教训:
But thence I learn, and find the lesson true,
药,毒害了对你厌倦的那个人。
Drugs poison him that so fell sick of you.