红珊瑚远远胜过她嘴唇的红色:
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
如果发是丝,铁丝就生在她头上;
If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun;
如果雪算白,她胸膛就一味暗褐。
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
我见过玫瑰如缎,红里透白,
I have seen roses damasked, red and white,
但她的双颊,赛不过这种玫瑰;
But no such roses see I in her cheeks,
有时候,我的情人吐出气息来,
And in some perfumes is there more delight
也不如几种熏香更教人沉醉。
Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
我挺爱听她说话,但我很清楚
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know
乐器会奏出更加悦耳的和音;
That music hath a far more pleasing sound.
我注视我的情人在大地上举步,——
I grant I never saw a goddess go;
同时我承认没见到女神在行进;
My mistress when she walks treads on the ground.
可是天哪,我认为我情人比那些
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare
被瞎比一通的美人儿更加超绝。
As any she belied with false compare.