我完全相信她,尽管我知道她撒谎;
I do believe her though I know she lies,
使她相信我是个懵懂的小伙子,
That she might think me some untutored youth,
不懂得世界上各种骗人的勾当。
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
于是,我就假想她以为我年轻,
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
虽然她知道我已经度过了盛年,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
我痴心信赖着她那滥嚼的舌根;
Simply I credit her false-speaking tongue;
这样,单纯的真实就两面都隐瞒。
On both sides thus is simple truth suppressed.
但是为什么她不说她并不真诚?
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
为什么我又不说我已经年迈?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
啊!爱的好外衣是看来信任,
O, love's best habit is in seeming trust,
爱人老了又不爱把年龄算出来:
And age in love loves not to have years told.
所以,是我骗了她,她也骗了我,
Therefore I lie with her, and she with me,
我们的缺陷就互相用好话瞒过。
And in our faults by lies we flattered be.