对着为她而憔悴的我
Breathed forth the sound that said, 'I hate'
吐出了一句“我厌恶…”的声音:
To me that languished for her sake.
但是只要她见到我难过,
But when she saw my woeful state,
她的心胸就立刻变宽厚,
Straight in her heart did mercy come,
谴责她那本该是用来
Chiding that tongue that ever sweet
传达温和的宣判的舌头;
Was used in giving gentle doom,
教它重新打招呼,改一改:
And taught it thus anew to greet:
她就马上把“我厌恶…”停住,
'I hate,' she altered with an end
这一停正像温和的白天
That followed it as gentle day
在黑夜之后出现,黑夜如
Doth follow night, who, like a fiend,
恶魔从天国被扔进阴间。
From heaven to hell is flown away.
她把“我厌恶…”的厌恶抛弃,
'I hate' from hate away she threw,
救了我的命,说——“不是你。”
And saved my life, saying, 'not you.'