所以我们的面容对我们来说极其重要当我们努力的向世界展现自己。
We crave the approval of our peers.
还记得吗?
So our facial appearance is vital to us as we're trying to project ourselves to the world.
一个青春痘就可以让你好几天都精神萎靡。
So our facial appearance is vital to us as we're trying to project ourselves to the world.
你每天花多长时间盯着镜子,练习讽刺的表情,严肃的表情,尝试看起来更像肖恩·康纳利,像我小时候一样。
Just remember that single acne spot that crippled you for several days.
尝试着扬起一只眉毛。
How long did you spend looking in the mirror every day, practicing your sardonic look, practicing your serious look, trying to look like Sean Connery, as I did, trying to raise one eyebrow?
那是个让人束手无策的时期。
It's a crippling time.
这样的改变到底是真实的改变,还是只是虚构的病人自己的想象?
Is this change, though, a real change, or is it a figment of the imagination of the patient themselves?
我们考察青少年们对矫正面部手术患者照片的态度。
Well we studied teenagers' attitudes to photographs of patients having this corrective facial surgery.
我们发现—我们把这些照片混杂在一起所以他们不能识别哪些是手术前那些是手术之后—我们发现这些病人们在手术之后被认为更加有吸引力。
And what we found was — we jumbled up the photographs so they couldn't recognize the before and after — what we found was that the patients were regarded as being more attractive after the surgery.
这并不让人惊讶,但我们继续让这些青少年们对诚信度,聪明程度,友善度,暴力程度进行评判。
Well that's not surprising, but we also asked them to judge them on honesty, intelligence, friendliness, violence.
在手术之前的病人们都被认为在这些品质上不够正常比如更暴力,等等。
They were all perceived as being less than normal in all those characteristics — more violent, etc. — before the surgery.
手术之后,病人们被认为更聪明,更友好,更诚实,更平和—可是我们并没有对他们的智力或者性格动手术。
After the surgery, they were perceived as being more intelligent, more friendly, more honest, less violent — and yet we hadn't operated on their intellect or their character.
亨利阿皮也阐述了这个现象。
Henriapi illustrates this phenomenon as well.
这是个二十多岁的年轻尼日利亚男子他第一次出国是因为他的恶性肿瘤他需要到英国做手术。
This is a man in his 20s whose first visit out of Nigeria was with this malignant cancer that he came to the United Kingdom to have operated on.
这是我最长的一次手术。
It was my longest operation.
历时23个小时。
It took 23 hours.
I did it with my neurosurgeon.
我跟我的神经外科医生一起。
It took 23 hours.
I did it with my neurosurgeon.
我们把他右脸的所有骨头都除去—他的眼睛,鼻子,头骨,面部皮肤—用他背部的组织给他整容。
We removed all the bones at the right side of his face — his eye, his nose, the skull bones, the facial skin — and reconstructed him with tissue from the back.
亨利阿皮继续着他精神科护士的工作。
He continued to work as a psychiatric nurse.
他结了婚,他的儿子叫耶利米。
He got married.
He had a son called Jeremiah.
他说,“这幅我跟我儿子耶利米的画像告诉我我觉得到我是个成功的人。”
And again, he said, "This painting of me with my son Jeremiah shows me as the successful man that I feel that I am."
他的面部畸形没有影响到他因为他有他家人的支持,他有一份成功的令他满足的工作。
His facial disfigurement did not affect him because he had the support of a family; he had a successful, fulfilling job.
也有其他一些人他们没有选择面部手术。
But then we have other people who don't choose to have facial surgery.
这些人的面部被严重毁坏。
They're people who have their face shot off.