但是你得将它的花费和建造摩尔定律的花费比一下。
Yes, it did cost a billion dollars or two billion dollars a year to make this progress.
是远远超过了核聚变研究的花费的。
But you have to compare that to the cost of making Moore's Law.
摩尔定律的成果是我口袋里的这个手机。
That cost way more than that.
这个手机,和其使用的互联网花费将尽一万亿美元,
The result of Moore's Law is this cell phone here in my pocket.
只是为了我可以拍张自拍,然后发表到脸谱网上。
This cell phone, and the Internet behind it, cost about one trillion dollars, just so I can take a selfie and put it on Facebook.
当我爸看到的时候会感到非常骄傲。
Then when my dad sees that, he'll be very proud.
我们一年里还花费6500亿美元去补贴石油,燃气和可再生能源。
We also spend about 650 billion dollars a year in subsidies for oil and gas and renewable energy.
迄今,对于核聚变变我们只花了其0.5%的开支。
Now, we spend one half of a percent of that on fusion.
所以我个人认为,我们并没有花费过多。
So me, personally, I don't think it's too expensive.
我认为这实际上是很节约的,就核聚变在未来几十亿年可以环保地解决我们所有的能源问题来说,
I think it's actually been shortchanged, considering it can solve all our energy problems cleanly for the next couple of billions of years.
我有些个人偏见,但我这样说是因为我创建了一家核聚变公司而且我压根儿不用脸谱网。
Now I can say that, but I'm a little bit biased, because I started a fusion company and I don't even have a Facebook account.
在2002我刚创建这家核聚变公司时,我知道我不能跟那些巨头们抗衡。
So when I started this fusion company in 2002, I knew I couldn't fight with the big lads.
他们拥有更多的资源。
They had much more resources than me.
我决意要找到一个便宜并迅速的解决方法。
So I decided I would need to find a solution that is cheaper and faster.
磁场和激光核聚变发生装置
Now magnetic and laser fusion are pretty good machines.
是很不错的机器。
They are awesome pieces of technology, wonderful machines, and they have shown that fusion can be done.
它们是了不起的科研成果,神奇的机器,而且它们已经展示了核聚变可以被完成。
However, as a power plant, I don't think they're very good.
但是作为电力工厂,我不认为它们非常适合。
They're way too big, way too complicated, way too expensive, and also, they don't deal very much with the fusion energy.
它们过大,过于复杂,过于昂贵而且它们不能处理很多核聚变能量。
When you make fusion, the energy comes out as neutrons, fast neutrons comes out of the plasma.
在你制造核聚变时,能量以中子,以快速的中子形式从等离子体中快速释放出来。
Those neutrons hit the wall of the machine.
那些中子撞击到机器的边墙会造成损坏。
It damages it.
而且,你还需要捕获中子所产生的热量并用蒸汽在某处旋转涡轮,对于那些机器来说,这些都有点儿马后炮。
And also, you have to catch the heat from those neutrons and run some steam to spin a turbine somewhere, and on those machines, it was all a bit of an afterthought.
所以我想一定会有更好的方法。
So I decided that surely there is a better way of doing that.
这是个非常好的方法只是不怎么管用。
Now, this was all very good except for the problem that it didn't quite work.