逢君只说受生因,便作如来会上人。
If you speak only of the causation arising from birth, You can be present at the Buddha's assembly.
一念静观尘世佛,十方同看降威神。
The Buddha of the dusty world thinks only peaceful thoughts; People of all quarters watch while the spirit is subdued.
欲知今日真明主,须问当年嫡母身。
If you wish to know who is the true monarch, You must ask the mother who bore you.
别有世间曾未见,一行一步一花新。
You have never yet seen another world; At every step a new flower appears.
却说那乌鸡国王太子,自别大圣,不多时,回至城中。
Soon after taking his leave of the Great Sage, the crown prince of Wuji was back in the city.
果然不奔朝门,不敢报传宣诏,径至后宰门首,见几个太监在那里把守。
As instructed, he did not make for the main palace gates or announce his arrival, but went straight to a back gate that was kept by some eunuchs.
――见太子来,不敢阻滞,让他进去了。
Not daring to stop him, they let him in.
好太子,夹一夹马,撞入里面,忽至锦香亭下。
The splendid prince rode his horse straight to the foot of the Brocade Fragrance Pavilion,
只见那正宫娘娘坐在锦香亭上,两边有数十个嫔妃掌扇,那娘娘倚雕栏儿流泪哩。
in which sat the queen attended by some dozens of consorts and concubines holding fans.
The queen was in tears, leaning against a carved balustrade.
原来他四更时也做了一梦,记得一半,含糊了一半,沉沉思想。
It was because she half remembered but had half forgotten a dream she had had in the small hours of the morning.
Now she was deep in thought.
这太子下马,跪于亭下。
The prince dismounted, knelt at the foot of the pavilion
叫:“母亲!”
and called, “Mother.
那娘娘强整欢容,叫声“孩儿,喜呀!
The queen forced herself to look cheerful and called to him, “What a pleasure to see you, my child,
这二三年在前殿与你父王开讲,不得相见,我甚思量;今日如何得暇来看我一面?
I've been worried about you for two or three years.
Despite all my requests to His Majesty your father in the hall of audience I haven't been able to see you.
How ever were you able to get leave to see me today?”
你父王年纪高迈,有一日龙归碧海,凤返丹霄,你就传了帝位,还有甚么不悦?”
Your father is getting on now.
One day the dragon will have to return to the jade-green sea and the phoenix to the crimson clouds.
Then the throne will be yours.
So why be so miserable?”
太子叩头道:“母亲,我问你:即位登龙是那个?
To this the prince replied with a kowtow, “Mother, who is it who now occupies the throne?”
称孤道寡果何人?”
Who is it who uses the royal ‘we?”
娘娘闻言道:“这孩儿发风了!
“The boy's gone mad,” exclaimed the queen.
做皇帝的是你父王,你问怎的?”
“It's your father who's king.
Why do you ask?”
太子叩头道:“万望母亲赦子无罪,敢问;不赦,不敢问。”
“I beg you, Mother,” said the prince, kowtowing again, “to forgive your son's crime so that I may ask once more.
If you can't pardon me, I can't ask.”
娘娘道:“子母家有何罪?
“There can't be criminal proceedings between mother and son,” the queen said.
太子道:“母亲,我问你三年前夫妻宫里之事与后三年恩爱同否,如何?”
“Mother,” said the prince, “I want to ask you whether there is any difference in the affection between you and my father now compared with three years ago.”
娘娘见说,魂飘魄散,急下亭抱起,紧搂在怀,眼中滴泪道:“孩儿!
The moment the queen heard this her souls went flying and she rushed down to the foot of the pavilion to hug the prince close to her. “Child,” she said as tears flowed from her eyes,
我与你久不相见,怎么今日来宫问此?”
“why do you come to the harem after we've been kept apart for such a long time to ask me this?”