却说那国王倚着龙床,泪如泉涌,只哭到天晚不住。
The king collapsed on his throne in tears and cried till nightfall.
行者上前高呼道:“你怎么这等昏乱!
Then Monkey stepped forward and called out, “Don't be so silly.
车辆是老孙运转双关,穿夹脊,捽碎了。
it was I who took the cart through the two gates and along the ridge before smashing it,
今日灭了妖邪,方知是禅门有道。
Now that the evil has been destroyed you will realize that there is a Way in the Buddha's faith.
望你把三教归一:也敬僧,也敬道,也养育人才。
I hope that you will combine the three teachings by honoring both the Buddhist clergy and the Way of Taoism, and by also educating men of talent in the Confucian tradition.
国王依言,感谢不尽,遂送唐僧出城去讫。
The king accepted this advice and expressed his gratitude at great length as he accompanied the Tang Priest out of the city.
这一去,只为殷勤经三藏,努力修持光一元。
Because they were seriously seeking the scriptures, They strove to maintain their brightness of spirit.
晓行夜住,渴饮饥餐,不觉的春尽夏残,又是秋光天气。
Setting out at dawn and not stopping till nightfall, they drank when thirsty and ate when hungry.
Before they realized it spring and summer were over and it was autumn again.
唐僧勒马道:“徒弟,今宵何处安身也?”
the Tang Priest reined in his horse and asked, “Where shall we spend the night, disciples?”
三藏道:“在家人怎么?
“^+1 What is the difference in the way they talk?” Sanzang asked.
便是要带月披星,餐风宿水,有路且行,无路方住。”
We have only the moon and the stars to cover us with.
We dine on the wind and sleep in the dew.
We travel when we can find a way and only stop when there's no way forward.”
八戒道:“哥哥,你只知其一,不知其二。
“Brother,” said Pig, “you only know half of the story.
如今路多险峻,我挑着重担,着实难走,须要寻个去处,好眠一觉,养养精神,明日方好捱担;不然,却不累倒我也?”
The trail is very steep now and I can barely manage my heavy load.
We've got to find somewhere where I can get a good night's sleep and build myself up to carry my load tomorrow.
Otherwise I'm going to collapse from exhaustion.”
行者道:“趁月光再走一程,到有人家之所再住。”
“Let's go a little further in the moonlight,” said Monkey. “When we reach a house we can stay there.”
又行不多时,只听得滔滔浪响。
They had not been going for long when they heard the sound of waves.
来到尽头路了!”
“We've come to the end of the road.”
沙僧道:“是一股水挡住也。”
“There's a river in our way,” said Friar Sand.
唐僧道:“却怎生得渡?”
“How are we going to get across?” asked the Tang Priest.
水之浅深,如何试得?”
“How could you test the water for depth?”
八戒道:“寻一个鹅卵石,抛在当中。
“Find a pebble the size of a goose egg and throw it in,” Pig replied.
若是溅起水泡来,是浅;若是骨都都沉下有声,是深。”
“If it makes a big splash the water's shallow; and if it goes down with bubbles the water's deep.”
行者道:“你去试试看。”
“Test it then,” said Monkey.
那呆子在路旁摸了一块顽石,望水中抛去,只听得骨都都泛起鱼津,沉下水底。
The idiot then picked up a stone and threw it into the water; they heard the bubbles rising as the stone sunk.
唐僧道:“你虽试得深浅,却不知有多少宽阔。”
“You have tested for depth,” said the Tang Priest, “but we don't know how wide it is.”