满目寒光迥,阴阴诱骨泠。
As far as the eye could see was chilly brightness As the unseen cold went right into the bone.
师徒们冲寒冒冷,宿雨餐风。
Master and disciples braved the cold, sleeping out in the rain and dining off the wind,
正行间,又见一座城池。
until as they were walking along another walled and moated city came into sight.
三藏问道:“悟空,那厢又是甚么所在?”
“What sort of place is that over there, Wukong?” Sanzang asked
行者道:“到跟前自知。
Monkey, who replied, “We'll know when we get there.
若是西邸王位,须要倒换关文;若是府州县,径过。”
If it's the capital of a Western kingdom we'll have to present our passport to be inspected and returned.
If it's a prefecture or county town we'll go straight through.”
师徒言语未毕,早至城门之外。
Before master and disciples could finish their conversation they had arrived at the city gates.
三藏下马,一行四众,进了月城。
Sanzang dismounted and the four of them went in through the curtain wall outside the gates.
见一个老军,在向阳墙下,偎风而睡。
Noticing an old soldier sleeping shielded from the wind under the South-facing wall,
行者近前摇他一下,叫声:“长官。”
Brother Monkey went up to him, shook him and said, “Sir!”
那老军猛然惊觉,麻麻糊糊的睁开眼,看见行者,连忙跪下磕头,叫:“爷爷!”
When the old soldier awoke with a start to open his bleary eyes and see Monkey he fell to his knees to kowtow and say, “My Lord!”
行者道:“你休胡惊作怪。
“There's no need for such alarm,” said Monkey.
老军磕头道:“你是雷公爷爷!”
“Aren't you Lord Thunder God?” the old soldier asked, kowtowing again.
吾乃东土去西天取经的僧人。
“We're monks from the East on our way to fetch the scriptures from the Western Heaven.
那老军闻言,却才正了心,打个呵欠,爬起来,伸伸腰道:“长老,长老,恕小人之罪。
This answer finally eased the old soldier's mind.
With a yawn he got back on his feet, stretched and said, “Please forgive me, reverend gentlemen.
老军道:“有!
“Yes, ^+1 yes,” the old soldier replied.
行者却转身对唐僧道:“师父,此处原是比丘国,今改小子城。
Monkey then turned to report to the Tang Priest, “This country used to be called Bhiksuland but the name's been altered to Boytown,
但不知改名之意何故也。”
though I don't know what the change signifies.”
唐僧疑惑道:“既云比丘,又何云小子?
“If it was Bhiksuland before why is it Boytown now?” the Tang Priest wondered.
……”八戒道:“想是比丘王崩了,新立王位的是个小子,故名小子城。”
“I expect there was a King Bhiksu who died,” said Pig, “and they changed the name to Boytown when a boy succeeded him.”
唐僧道:“无此理!
“Impossible,” said the Tang Priest,
此事不明,故敢动问。”
This is something I cannot understand, which is why I ventured to raise the question.”
驿丞附耳低言道:“长老莫管他,莫问他,也莫理他、说他。
“Ignore that, reverend sir,” whispered the hostel superintendent into Sanzang's ear. “Don't ask about it.
Put it out of your mind.
Don't even mention it.
请安置,明早走路。”
Would you like to settle down for the night before starting your journey again tomorrow morning?”