话表三藏别了朱紫国王,整顿鞍马西进。
The story tells how Sanzang took his leave of the king of Purpuria, got everything ready, saddled the horse and headed Westwards.
行彀多少山原,历尽无穷水道,不觉的秋去冬残,又值春光明媚,师徒们正在路踏青玩景,忽见一座庵林。
They crossed many a mountain and river.
Before they realized it autumn and winter were over and spring's brightness and charm were back.
Master and disciples were enjoying the scenery as their way led them across the greenery when they suddenly noticed a building amid trees.
三藏滚鞍下马,站立大道之旁。
Sanzang dismounted and stood beside the main track.
行者问道:“师父,这条路平坦无邪,因何不走?”
“Master,” Brother Monkey asked, “the road is easy and there is no evil about, so why have you stopped?”
八戒道:“师兄好不通情!
“You aren't at all understanding, brother,” Pig said.
师父在马上坐得困了,也让他下来关关风是。”
“The master is feeling sleepy after being in the saddle for so long.
You ought to let him come down and have a rest.”
三藏道:“不是关风,我看那里是个人家,意欲自去化些斋吃。”
“It's not that,” Sanzang said. “I can see a house over there.
I was thinking of going there myself to beg for some food.”
行者笑道:“你看师父说的是那里话。
“What a thing for the master to say,” said Monkey with a smile.
俗语云:‘一日为师,终身为父。’
As the saying goes, 'Your teacher for a day is your father for the rest of your life.”
三藏道:“不是这等说。
“There's no need to say that,” Sanzang replied.
平日间一望无边无际,你们没远没近的去化斋,今日人家逼近,可以叫应,也让我去化一个来。”
“Usually you three have to cross enormous distances as far as the eye can see to beg for our food.
Today there's a house so close it's in shouting distance, so let me beg this time.”
常言道:‘三人出外,小的儿苦。
“As the saying goes, when three people go travelling it's the youngest who does the rough jobs.
你况是个父辈,我等俱是弟子。
You're the senior one and we're all only disciples.
古书云:‘有事弟子服其劳,等我老猪去。’
As the old book says, 'When there is a job to be done the disciple does it.” Let me go.”
三藏道:“徒弟啊,今日天气晴明,与那风雨之时不同。
“Disciples,” said Sanzang, “the weather is good today.
It's not at all like the times ^+1 when you all have to go far away in wind and rain.
有斋无斋,可以就回走路。”
Whether I get any food or not I shall soon be back and we shall be on our way.”
沙僧在旁笑道:“师兄,不必多讲。
Friar Sand, who was standing beside them, smiled and said, “Stop arguing so much, brother.
师父的心性如此,不必违拗。
As the master has made his mind up you shouldn't disobey him.
若恼了他,就化将斋来,他也不吃。”
If you upset him he won't eat any of the food you are able to beg.”
八戒依言,即取出钵盂,与他换了衣帽。
Pig accepted this suggestion and brought out the begging bowl and a change of hat and cassock for the master,
拽开步,直至那庄前观看,却也好座住场。
who went straight to the farm building to look at it.
It really was a fine place.
但见:§石桥高耸,古树森齐。
He could see: A high-rising stone bridge, Ancient trees growing close together.
石桥高耸,潺潺流水接长溪;古树森齐,聒聒幽禽鸣远岱。
Where the stone bridge rose high A babbling brook joined a long stream; Amid close-growing ancient trees Hidden birds sang sweetly on the distant hill.
桥那边有数椽茅屋,清清雅雅若仙庵;又有那一座蓬窗,白白明明欺道院。
Across the bridge were several thatched houses As pure and elegant as an immortal's hermitage.
There was also a thatched hut So pure and white it would put a Taoist temple to shame.