你笑,我也笑。
You smiled and I also smiled.
一种幸福的感觉使我的全身发热了。
A sensation of blissfulness warmed me up all over.
我那时不会知道我是在梦中,也忘记了二十年来的艰苦日子。
I was unaware that I was in a dream.
在戏园里,我坐在你旁边,看台上的武戏,你还详细地给我解释剧中的情节。
While I sat beside you inside a theater watching the fighting scenes of the Peking opera, you explained its story to me in great detail.
我变成二十几年前的孩子了。
I was again the small kid of 25 years before.
我高兴,我没有挂虑地微笑,我不假思索地随口讲话。
I was joyful, I smiled naïve smiles, I chattered away freely.
我想不到我在很短的时间以后就会失掉你,失掉这一切。
I did not have the slightest inkling that you together with everything else would in the moment vanish out of sight.
然而睁开眼睛,我只是一个人,四周就只有滴滴的雨声。
I opened my eyes, I found out that I was all by myself and nothing was heard except the pit-a-pat of raindrops.
没有笑,没有话语。
No more smile, no more chitchat.
只有雨声:滴--滴--滴。
Only the drip drip drip of rain.
我用力吧眼睛睁大,我撩开蚊帐,我在漆黑的空间中寻找你的影子。
Forcing my eyes to open wider and drawing aside the mosquito net, I began to search for you in the pitch darkness.
但是从两扇开着的小窗,慢慢地透进来灰白色的亮光,使我的眼睛看见了这个空阔的房间。
A grayish light, nevertheless, edged through two small windows to enable me to see the spacious room.
没有你,没有你的微笑。
You and your smile were no more.
有的是寂寞、单调。
Only loneliness and monotony remained.
雨一直滴--滴地下着。
The rain kept pitter-pattering
我唤你,没有回应。
I called to you, but no response.
我侧耳倾听,没有脚声。
I listened attentively, but heard no footsteps.
我静下来,我的心怦怦地跳动。
I quieted down, my heart beating hard.
我听得见自己的心的声音。
I could hear its thumping.
我的心在走路,它慢慢地走过了二十五年,一直到这个夜晚。
Up to now, it had been on its slow journey for 25 years.
我于是闭了嘴,我知道你不会再站到我的面前。
I knew you would never appear standing before me.
二十年前我失掉了你。
I had lost you 25 years before.
我从无父的孩子已经长成一个中年人了。
Since then, I had grown from a fatherless child into a middle-aged man.
雨声继续着。
The rain continued to fall.